SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just picked up a 2001 9-3 convertible a couple weeks ago. Does anyone know if the upshift light can be turned off with Tech II? My Saab shop could not find the option.

Any help would be appreciated,
arb217

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The old solution was to just take the bulb out. I think that was the very first mod I ever made to my 900, and still one of the best.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Best solution is remove bulb. Other solution is change T7 box and remap it.

·
Registered
18,383 Posts
No fuse pull... that would be the DRL's. Back in the day some guys used to clip a wire but I think that was a T5 thing... the T7 puts it on the bus and the MIU just picks it off there. Cluster pull, bulb removal.

Note: The first time you pull a cluster it will be a three hour job. It's not hard, you'll just spend a lot of time finding fasteners and fiddling. The second time you can do it in an hour. Ask for tips if you're heading that way.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Hmmm, on my viggen I think I just removed the upshift fuse, heck I cant remember, Ill check. It was one of the first things I did, but that was years ago, and I sure didn't remove a bulb.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
A local (Canadian) Saab shop said that they would routinely turn off the Shift Up lamp for Saab owners from the US. I'm not sure how they went about that.

To my dismay, I could not turn the Shift Up light on in my Canadian spec NG900. At least not without some possible gauge cluster swapping.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
There was a way to do it through ECU tuning. I had originally removed the bulb in my '97 900, but then when I bought a tuned ECU from Taliaferro, they also disabled it through software.

·
Registered
276 Posts
With an ECU tune, you can set the RPM/parameters so high that it never gets triggered...

Or, I had a co-worker who would pull the cluster, remove the bulb, and use a small paint brush and black paint to 'erase' the words...leaving only the image of the gear shifter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No fuse pull... that would be the DRL's. Back in the day some guys used to clip a wire but I think that was a T5 thing... the T7 puts it on the bus and the MIU just picks it off there. Cluster pull, bulb removal.

Note: The first time you pull a cluster it will be a three hour job. It's not hard, you'll just spend a lot of time finding fasteners and fiddling. The second time you can do it in an hour. Ask for tips if you're heading that way.
I think the only reason it took me 3 hours the first time I pulled the instrument cluster was due to the little vent knob coming apart. Took forever getting all those plates line up with the control knob and back in the housing so you could control were the air went. If I had to get into the cluster today I could probably could do it in 20 minutes. Getting the stereo cage out is the only item I recall being difficult. It always seems to pop back into place when your working on the other side.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I think the only reason it took me 3 hours the first time I pulled the instrument cluster was due to the little vent knob coming apart. Took forever getting all those plates line up with the control knob and back in the housing so you could control were the air went. If I had to get into the cluster today I could probably could do it in 20 minutes. Getting the stereo cage out is the only item I recall being difficult. It always seems to pop back into place when your working on the other side.
That radio cage is a PITA. They fixed the issue on the 9-5 by not hiding screws behind it. The entire fascia on that car comes out with the cage in place. The trick I always used on the vents was to hold the pieces together with cable ties. I'd make sure they weren't too tight so I wouldn't accidentally scratch the plastic with the clippers I used to cut the cable tie.

·
Registered
18,383 Posts
Yeah, I had one of those vent disassembly issues too. Now I put a twist tie around them before I start pulling things apart, just in case. The stereo cage seems to always hang at the top. I don't think I've ever gotten one out without bending the top down and then straightening it later for re-install.

·
Registered
18,383 Posts
I was thinking about changing the limit on my T7 so that it comes on at the red line, then tapping off the MIU and relaying a signal to an audible tone or buzzer. Then you wouldn't even have to look at the dash to know when to shift. But, I rarely drive in a way it would be needed, so it's not a priority for me. One of the guys at trionictuning worked out how to raise the limit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts