SaabCentral Forums banner

can someone help me with instructions?

832 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  cwaters76 
#1 ·
hi, my knob to switch from defrost/foot/front isn't working. it's stuck on defrost. the knob still turns but nothing happens. i bought the part to fix the problem, but am wondering if anyone has any detailed instructions on how to put this in. :confused: any help would be appreciated, and i've heard this is a common problem. i have a 2000 9-3. thanks

#2 ·
Is the part the little plunger shaft thing that looks like the holder for a roll of toilet paper?

If so, this happened to mine too, and the repair is pretty simple. You need to remove the kick panel on the passengers side, nothing else. This is held on by a few bolts, including one tucked inside the glove compartment. It's also sort of held in by friction and some molded tabs and stuff. It's pretty sturdy plastic, so you won't break it, but if it really won't move check more carefully for hidden bolts.

Once you remove that, the shaft just sort of snaps into place. There's one notchy thing for it to mate with on the knob, and another on the hvac guts inside. It'll be pretty obvious once you get the kick panel off.

#6 ·
a friend and i got it in, and it blows where it should now. thanks!
still wondering if everything was done correctly, because the knob itself doesn't want to stay where it is put, feels very "spongy" (for lack of a better descriptive word) when turning. i bought the car used, so it was broken before i got it. it used to click like the fan speed knob, now it doesn't. and i am not terribly worried about that, i am just happy to have air where i want it :)

#7 ·
Congrats! I'm glad to hear it worked.

It's hard to see what could get messed up besides the shaft falling off. I guess as long as you can move air to the vents or to the dash, it's ok. Just one of those minor weird things that you can't really be bothered to fix on an old car.

For what it's worth, I just went out and checked mine, and it does click. It's kind of hard to know, but it feels like the clicker is inside the knob somehow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.