SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2006 9-3 Aero convertible this week. Can't figure some things out. Checked out the sticky post, but didn't see some things that some of you probably know well. No owner's manual was included, so I ordered one from eBay (didn't find this site until after...) and expect it by this weekend.

If I try to lock the doors with the switch on the door, it works if the doors are closed, but not when they're open. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

If I hold the unlock button on the remote, 3 windows roll down (but not the driver's) and the top folds. Is this the way it is meant to be? Haven't figured out exactly how this works, seems like I have to push and hold and try several times before this activates. Guessing there is no button that makes everything close back up.

I can't tell any difference between the DRL setting, the parking light setting, and the headlights on setting. One of the tiny bulbs sometimes isn't on (perhaps a short). One of the rear fog lights is either burned out or shorted (they are red tail lights?). One of the front fog lights is either burned out or shorted (would have sworn neither came on the first time).

Some PO used some paint-like substance on the seats to cover some cuts in the leather and decided to use it very liberally. I wish they hadn't. I've been able to clean most of it off.

The washer fluid container neck is detachable and I hope meant to be; leads to a nice leak if you fill it too full. Washer jets don't work (well, one of the three dribbles a little). When I get a chance to remove the insulation from the hood, I'll check to see if it's a line problem.

First thing I did after buying it was change the oil. Nice surprise there. Swear I reset the maintenance indicator, but it was on this morning when I cranked up, so I wonder what problem the dealer knew about and reset the code so I wouldn't see the light.

I realized today that no airbag light is lighting up upon cranking, so that makes me a good bit worried.

I decided to wipe the car down after buying it and quickly realized that the surround around the gear stick was painted black with paint that had not adhered well to the plastic and big sections came off easily (but unfortunately not all). Took a good while to get that area all the gray/white color. I have no letters on the park, reverse, drive lights (they came off with the paint).

Haven't quite figured out all of the dash buttons yet, but I'm guessing that all of the phone buttons are useless.

I need to pick up some things here and there to complete the car (like floor mats--missing, and a new center console--cracked and chipped).

Having said all of that, it is a beautiful car with a wonderful sound. Maybe not quite a sports car when compared to something with 300hp/300lb-ft, but not shabby either.

Hopefully, I can figure out how it is supposed to work and make a list of things that are not working properly (and hopefully that list is not too long). If that list doesn't cost too much, I'll still love the car and would buy it all over again, but I'm just a little worried right now.

Driving this evening, I got a "coolant low, refill" message. Luckily I only was only a mile from the hotel. I would have sworn they just checked and topped that off when I had the oil changed...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Bought a 2006 9-3 Aero convertible this week. Can't figure some things out. Checked out the sticky post, but didn't see some things that some of you probably know well. No owner's manual was included, so I ordered one from eBay (didn't find this site until after...) and expect it by this weekend.

If I try to lock the doors with the switch on the door, it works if the doors are closed, but not when they're open. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

If I hold the unlock button on the remote, 3 windows roll down (but not the driver's) and the top folds. Is this the way it is meant to be? Haven't figured out exactly how this works, seems like I have to push and hold and try several times before this activates. Guessing there is no button that makes everything close back up.

I can't tell any difference between the DRL setting, the parking light setting, and the headlights on setting. One of the tiny bulbs sometimes isn't on (perhaps a short). One of the rear fog lights is either burned out or shorted (they are red tail lights?). One of the front fog lights is either burned out or shorted (would have sworn neither came on the first time).

Some PO used some paint-like substance on the seats to cover some cuts in the leather and decided to use it very liberally. I wish they hadn't. I've been able to clean most of it off.

The washer fluid container neck is detachable and I hope meant to be; leads to a nice leak if you fill it too full. Washer jets don't work (well, one of the three dribbles a little). When I get a chance to remove the insulation from the hood, I'll check to see if it's a line problem.

First thing I did after buying it was change the oil. Nice surprise there. Swear I reset the maintenance indicator, but it was on this morning when I cranked up, so I wonder what problem the dealer knew about and reset the code so I wouldn't see the light.

I realized today that no airbag light is lighting up upon cranking, so that makes me a good bit worried.

I decided to wipe the car down after buying it and quickly realized that the surround around the gear stick was painted black with paint that had not adhered well to the plastic and big sections came off easily (but unfortunately not all). Took a good while to get that area all the gray/white color. I have no letters on the park, reverse, drive lights (they came off with the paint).

Haven't quite figured out all of the dash buttons yet, but I'm guessing that all of the phone buttons are useless.

I need to pick up some things here and there to complete the car (like floor mats--missing, and a new center console--cracked and chipped).

Having said all of that, it is a beautiful car with a wonderful sound. Maybe not quite a sports car when compared to something with 300hp/300lb-ft, but not shabby either.

Hopefully, I can figure out how it is supposed to work and make a list of things that are not working properly (and hopefully that list is not too long). If that list doesn't cost too much, I'll still love the car and would buy it all over again, but I'm just a little worried right now.

Driving this evening, I got a "coolant low, refill" message. Luckily I only was only a mile from the hotel. I would have sworn they just checked and topped that off when I had the oil changed...
let me try to answer some of the questions...
the car's security system is designed not to let you lock yourself out. not being able to lock the doors with a door open is normal.

I'm not sure why only 3 windows go down (try resetting the pinch protection; up down up down-hold-beep on that windows switch) but cars in NA are equipped with comfort open but not close, that is, they open when holding down the unlock button, but don't close with the lock button.

Again in north america, the headlights are always on, unless somehow disabled by the dealer (some know how to do this some don't) and no matter which position the light switch is in, the headlights will be on. if one of the little lights inside the headlight housing isn't on, then it may be burned out. also, 9-3s in North America are equipped only with one REAR fog light. If a front fog light is not working, it may be out, or there may be a bad connection between the light itself and the housing. (one of mine went out because somehow the wire got damaged from the bulb to the housing)

the washer fluid neck is removable on purpose, and if you do any maintenance (especially with the bulbs on the drivers side) then you will come to appreciate this feature. For your headlight washers, especially on the one that is not working correctly, examine the nozzle for cracks, also it is possible that the rubber hose has perished on the inside of the hood.

when you say maintenance indicator, do you mean the little engine looking symbol or is the car displaying an "i" or "TIME FOR SERVICE" if its the little engine symbol, I would have that code read.

If the car has a fault with the airbag, it will illuminate the airbag light, and display "AIRBAG MALFUNCTION CONTACT SERVICE" message, so i wouldn't worry too much.

It seems you might want to replace the shifter plate, doesn't sound too appealing because that area should be all black with the letters on the side illuminated.

the phone buttons are useless in NA.

the car is a blast to drive

Take a look at your coolant expansion tank (its a black tank with an orange cap) and take a good look around it to examine for cracks. this was supposed to be a warranty item, as they do fail, but a new tank should have fixed the issue. Also, examine the hoses leading into the reservoir for leaks. if its not leaking there, check the radiator. if not there, well, could be a serious problem.

hope this helped a little...

·
Registered
301 Posts
you will also find that the "-" does absolutely nothing. this is normal.

The headlight switch only relates to how your high beams function. One of the settings makes it so that the headlights will turn on with the car off to illuminate your way to the door/house/whatever, and will turn off after 30 seconds

the "-" button on your keyfob will set the car into panic mode if your press and hold, setting off the horn alarm and all, but if you just press it once, you will get the same "follow me home" effect mentioned above.

·
Registered
302 Posts
windows

All 4 windows should go down while holding unlock on remote, if you release the hood will stop.
You have to be in the car to operate the hood up with dash button (no remote). When fully up it will beep.Next press for up will close windows.
If windows are up when closing hood they will open a third until hood is up then close.
If as said pinch reset does not work remove socket in side of door leave off for a few min's and then do pinch reset. Pull up tab on top of plug and pull socket off.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Also, the windshield washers are very good on this car - high pressure. If you're not getting drenched with these, then something is wrong.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
First of all, big thanks for helping a n00b get started. You guys are great.

Bummer, just typed this long reply and it said I wasn't logged in. I've gotten used to the lights and locks, but wonder about the rear foglight. It's on the pass side and not any brighter than the other rear lights with the headlights on (maybe someone has put the wrong bulb in there). I watched the video and that one was very bright and on the driver's side (maybe a year/model difference?).

The dealer said that the module in the driver's door wasn't the right one and couldn't be programmed. Weird since it seems to match the look of the other side and seems to operate correctly except for the comfort open feature.

I'll finish the rest of what I typed before in a bit, but just wanted to get some thanks/update out there since you guys took time to respond.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I accidentally "comfort open"ed my windows one time as I was leaving for a few hours. Someone went through my center console and stole, of all things, my dental floss. The left the iPod in the glove compartment though. Apparently oral hygiene is more important than '90s hip-hop.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The windshield washer jets are prone to breaking. They cost about $7 each you need 1 for passenger side and 2 of the same part for the driver side and centre. Your old ones likely had the driver side cap blow off, it can't be glued back on so don't bother. If you open the hood and spray the washers you will see fluid pouring out of the cap. You can change the jet by just lifting up the insulation at the rear of the hood.
A former Saab dealer will likely have them in stock.

There should be no rear fog light on the passenger side. Driver side only.

Comfort open was an option included on Aero cars. Maybe you have a non-aero module in the drivers door, so that is why your comfort open is inoperable.

Also, if you want 320hp and 400tq you just need to spend about $500 on an ECU tune.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Something I discovered recently (after owning my car for nearly 10 years) is that if you open the passenger door, and press the lock button, all doors will lock. Not sure if this is specific to sedan or if it will work on convertible.

Enjoy your SAAB. . .

Bryan

·
Registered
4 Posts
2004saab 93 2.0 turbo arc I need help

I found a beautiful 2004 Saab arc 93 turbo in excellent condition. It has 121k on it but drives like a dream. I have never driven our owned before and I fell in love with this car. The guy wants only 4000 for it and I'm torn because I know so little about them. The motor sounds fantastic and interior is clean as a whistle! I'm a single dad without a lot of money to spend. I need to know about repairs and maintenance...and, well any advice would be great.
Thank you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I found a beautiful 2004 Saab arc 93 turbo in excellent condition. It has 121k on it but drives like a dream. I have never driven our owned before and I fell in love with this car. The guy wants only 4000 for it and I'm torn because I know so little about them. The motor sounds fantastic and interior is clean as a whistle! I'm a single dad without a lot of money to spend. I need to know about repairs and maintenance...and, well any advice would be great.
Thank you.

get a civic

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thank you.
Any 10 year old car will need repairs and maintenance. A Saab possibly more than others. For sure more than a Japanese or Korean appliance car. If (possibly) expensive repairs will fall outside your budget and/or unable to do stuff yourself, I'd lease a new(er) Kia or Hyundai.
However, a lot of Saab info available here and parts are still available. Try to find a dependable, honest and knowledgeable Saab Indy nearby (but they are ever harder to find). He can check the car out. Consider why you want the Saab and what budget you have. Plan on a (mental?) repair piggy bank and drop a few hundred in it every month, in addition to gas, insurance, taxes, etc...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts