SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just need to know how all the gm employee discounts and current sales of the 9-2x will cause the car to depreciate. thanks guys

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, OK.

I'll tell you how it depreciates if you can tell me how my stocks will do over the next five years.

That said, I can assure you that the Saab will depreciate over the short term. If you decide to leave it in mint condition and take care of it, it might be valuable as an antique as you approach old age.

·
Registered
11 Posts
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF said:
i just need to know how all the gm employee discounts and current sales of the 9-2x will cause the car to depreciate. thanks guys
Edmunds.com FINALLY has their True Cost to Own figures up for the 92x; the detailed information includes anticipated depreciation figures. I don't know how up-to-the-minute the figures are, and I'm assuming the numbers are based on historical performance with some guesstimated correction factor for sales, etc.

However, as a good number of wise people have told me, don't buy a car only to worry about depreciation. You're going to lose money no matter the vehicle; why worry?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My initial response was rude, sorry :D

Similar to what n_r_child says, buy the car based off of its value to you.

Is an Aero worth $20k to you? It was to me :cheesy:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I buy a car to use it for what I need it for. Getting from A to C with some spirited driving in the B area. Mostly all cars will go down in value, some faster than others. So, dont look at it like an investment, cause you'll be disappointed when you sell. Enjoy the car now, don't worry about getting rid of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also guys, you need to think of this the same way you do when you go in to buy a car. If or when you sell your car if you're all worried about depreciation and hurried to sell it then you'll be desperate and take a bigger loss then you should. A car is definately not an investment unless you don't plan on using it like a "normal" car. Besides, there were only like 9000 of these made for 2005, and they might be getting changed for next year. With such a rare vehicle We, the owners, will trully influence the resale value. If we don't think our car is only worth $10,000 dollars in one year and 20K miles then don't sell it for that. Where else is someone going to go to shop around for one... with crashes and lots of owners not wanting to sell our cars will become even more rare:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
while i do understand that a car shouldnt be bought this way, im down to two cars, the saab being one of them. and im really caught between the two, so car depreciation could be that last little thing that could make or break my car decision

also i have every intention to treat the car as a car, not an investment, but you guys cant tell me you wouldnt be a lil more than pissed if you found out that your cars halved in value over the course of 2 years right?

·
Banned
89 Posts
Aegon said:
:roll:

Maybe one with 100,000 miles. I doubt they will depreciate that quickly.
If you buying a new car with a sticker price of $29k for $19k what price you think this car will be worth a year later? Keep in mind a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE was sold for $37k in 2002, only 3 years later this car could be brought today for only $13k.

I Think A 9-2X will easily retail for $12-$15 a year later.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I see used 2002 wrx's selling for around $16k still. However, with the name of Saab, it's probably going to go down a bit more than one labeled as a Subaru. Strange? I know... :roll:

·
Banned
89 Posts
aero1116 said:
I see used 2002 wrx's selling for around $16k still. However, with the name of Saab, it's probably going to go down a bit more than one labeled as a Subaru. Strange? I know... :roll:

Saab's just dont hold value.

But I will say I'm on the sideline just waiting for the right deal to scoop one of these babys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I sold my 03 WRX with 40k miles for 16k less than a month ago.

I would suggest to my brother that he buy a WRX. I would not suggest a 9-3SE.

In my mind, the best selling point for the 9-2X was that it is Subaru. Other people will probably understand this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aegon said:
In my mind, the best selling point for the 9-2X was that it is Subaru.
Exactly. I would compare the depreciation on the 9-2x with the Impreza. After all, a Firebird doesn't depreciate much different than a Camaro. The 9-2x Aero may depreciate a little more if it is less desirable than the WRX since the Saab has a little less boy-racer appeal. However, these cars are at the end of their model run (it has been a long time since they've been redesigned I mean) and the WRX is getting outgunned by the EVO and SRT-4. That means depreciation will probably accelerate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For the record, I'll claim that nobody who drives a WRX would trade for an SRT-4. :D

The EVO is another matter...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aegon said:
For the record, I'll claim that nobody who drives a WRX would trade for an SRT-4.
No doubt the Impreza is a better car (AWD, duh) than a Neon, but the SRT-4 is a compact that is faster (and cheaper) than the WRX, so that's why I said outgunned. I was actually looking at the SRT-4 before the Saab deal came along, so I wouldn't say *nobody*

·
Registered
87 Posts
a big misnomer is that when a car is heavily discounted to sell NEW, that it will have poor resale value. A 19k Aero w/ a 10k discount should have decent resale. The 10k was really just a market adjustment to get the car down to a market price. Now that the car is there, why would is continue to depreciate at a greater rate than other cars.

I find it hard to believe that a 17k retail civic will have more value in 2 years than a 29k list (19k rock bottom new price) Saab.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the current price is to move stock. It's a marketing-pricing issue that GM has created on its own.

I think that the 92X price will follow Impreza pricing. The Impreza crowd is very well informed (thats why they wouldn't pay the 5k premium for almost the same car). This is evident with the speed that the 92X aeros were purchased once the price dropped. It literally followed the pricing by a few days.

Once this artifically low price supply is exhausted, the values should stabilize. Kind of like GM's junk bond status.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Guy1138 said:
No doubt the Impreza is a better car (AWD, duh) than a Neon, but the SRT-4 is a compact that is faster (and cheaper) than the WRX, so that's why I said outgunned. I was actually looking at the SRT-4 before the Saab deal came along, so I wouldn't say *nobody*
You don't want to drive a FAST rental car, do you? - J/K
As much as good deal and FAST a Neon is. It's still a Neon.
Only known to US public. Not internationally accepted/well known car.
Sorry for being harsh but true..

Back to the topic :lol:

I saw a Linear was for sale for 19K a month ago.

I hope the depreciation would start from MSRP due to the fact that this is an limited time incentive instead of manufacturer lowers their MSRP.

When the incentive is over the 92X price will go up again to MSRP? (maybe slightly lower)

·
Registered
44 Posts
cman321 said:
a big misnomer is that when a car is heavily discounted to sell NEW, that it will have poor resale value. A 19k Aero w/ a 10k discount should have decent resale. The 10k was really just a market adjustment to get the car down to a market price. Now that the car is there, why would is continue to depreciate at a greater rate than other cars.

I find it hard to believe that a 17k retail civic will have more value in 2 years than a 29k list (19k rock bottom new price) Saab.
Exactly. Rebates and incentives are short term effectors on used car prices. Couple that with the possibility of no turbo for 06 and limited production, and depreciation should hold steady since it's already been slammed down ~25% from GM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts