SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have a 06 saab 93 2.0 with 190k miles, 5 speed manual trans. it has a tow bar installed and i was wondering if it can tow a 1971 vw super beetle for around 500 miles. what do i need to be concerned about?

·
Registered
509 Posts
You should be fine to do that. I'm not sure what the tow capacity of the 9-3 is, but the beetle plus a dolly probably weighs about 2k pounds.

Do you have an idea how "healthy" your car is? Have you ever swapped the trans fluid? I try to do mine every 60k miles, and if you're going to be working it, that may be a good maintenance item. Also, top off your coolant, and just watch your temps, the radiators on these cars are paper thin, so if you're climbing a big hill your temps may start creeping up.

·
12,576 Posts
European towing capacity is 1600kg for these vehicles. I'd happily stick a 1500kg trailer on the back and take it accross Europe with a well maintained version of our cars. How good is your clutch is the primary question?

a Beetle of that vintage is probably under 1000kg so well under the working limits - however - what's the US law on towing without brakes? In Europe over 750kg is a no-no. Or are you using a dolly and Brake-Buddy? (see even in the UK we know about this stuff).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks for your response. My clutch is good i'd say. I don't really know what a bad clutch is. I did a test yesterday, even at low speeds, changing from first to second was good.

Im not towing the bug with a trailer. the bug has a built in took hook that can be attached to a tow arm type of thing. the tow arm is then hooked onto my tow bar. the bug will be on 4 wheels. i am not sure if there are any laws on towing without brakes. the only thing i know is, we are required to have external brake lights for the car we are towing and we are allowed to tow 1 vehicle on a standard class c license. I posted a url to a picture of a bug getting towed just like how i am doing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts