SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a project '03 9-5 2.3L Aero turbo manual trans we're working on.. The old oil pan, although clean, I don't believe was the origional, had holes and loose pieces of the sump screen wire, and the inside sump cover had stripped bolts.. Someone had definitely been in here and made a mess (that probably went through the oil pump).
Anyway.. went to car-part.com and looked up junkyard replacements and counted on it's interchange logic to show us candidates of junkyard ones.
This is the original:
original.png

But this is what we got shipped to us... It lines up OK.. but the timing cover does not allow access to those bolt holes. Can we still work with this somehow?
replacement.png

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
What's the part number on your new oil pan? The early manual transmission 9-5s had an oil pan that required you to knock out a couple of plugs on the pan in order to get to the bolts closest to the transmission. I wonder if you got one of those?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which bolt holes are you referring to?
The ones along the cover (drivers) side.. You cannot get to the bolts once you put the pan in place because the timing gear would obstruct where you'd tighten from the side

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the part number on your new oil pan? The early manual transmission 9-5s had an oil pan that required you to knock out a couple of plugs on the pan in order to get to the bolts closest to the transmission. I wonder if you got one of those?
My next question was if I could cut the bottom of that extension off (to the left side of that picture)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You keep saying timing side but that is incorrect. The timing chain is on the passenger side of the car (Front of the engine). The bolts you are speaking of that are covered up are on the trans side (drivers side, rear of engine).

Early 9-5's had a strange oil pan with extra "bracing" that braced the engine to the trans and as a result obscured a couple bolts that bolt the pan to the block near the trans. These are accessible when you remove the transmission, thus at installation time, was not a problem for Saab. To remove the pan without pulling the engine, access holes need to be drilled. This is an actual saab published procedure, if you search on that you should be able to find some instructions, and general dimensions where to drill.

The pan can be used just fine if you drill the holes. I have this on my 2000 Aero, with holes drilled by myself, no issues.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
This thread on SaabWorld has the WIS diagrams for where to drill the holes in post #2:

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I think you are talking about the other end of the motor not the timing end of the motor.

you can see the indented cut outs on the pan, I cant find a picture, but you can easily cut out the part that cover the bolt access with a Dremel tool.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
That is the pan for early Aero's with manual transmissions which were designed to give some extra stiffening to the engine/transmission. Saab eliminated that extra pan in later years but early cars had it. That's why Carpart sent you that pan as it's the right one for your car. that extra stuff is on the transmission end of the car, not the timing cover end. There were extra bolts in the bottom of the transmission that bolted into the bottom of that pan.

As bob3000 said there are some oval cutouts that you have to drill to put those pans on the car when the engine is in the car. Once you drill those holes open (big enough to get the bolt and a socket through) you can then stick a longer extension with a flex joint on it into the hole and insert the bolts. you can kind of see one of the knock outs (that have to be drilled) on post #6.

It's kind of a pain to get it in with the engine in the car as well as it's more difficult to wiggle it into place. A lot of people put the normal flat-ended pan on the car if they have an extra. Clearly someone did that with your car as well at some point in time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts