SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have recently replaced the turbo (Garrett) on my Saab 9-5 (thanks to the great advice from this forum) unfortunately I have a slight oil leak from the oil return pipe

(this is the T shaped pipe at the bottom of the turbo to the sump) I have replaced the paper gasket and bolts but no matter how tight the bolts, I cant stop it weeping oil. Can I use gasket sealer I have been advised not to use any sealer on the turbo but I can’t think what else to do. Your advice would be appreciated

G

·
I know that swedish dynamics sells this t- shaped tube and i believe its pretty cheap. I'm unsure if the gasket sealer will resist the high temperature of your core. I'm guessing one of the surfaces is not flush. Here's hoping its not the core.

Oil dripping in this area could also be coming from the oil line (that runs into the front of the turbo). That thing will leak like mad if the banjo bolt isn't tight enough. The only way i was able to get at it after installation was by sawing a wrench in half and tapping the end it with a hammer. The sump/return doesn't have to endure much pressure so its unusual for it to leak. Perhaps the rubber tube that goes over the T fitting has had it also?

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you do need some gasket seal there must be some high temperature sealant on the market.
I have used hermatite red on a pressure lamp that ran at a temperature well above red hot (in the area of the seal) and it worked well.
Have also used it on a head gasket and it sealed that.

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts