SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p
I'm kidding. Sorta.

My dream has been to own a coupe. Here for only two years, '85 and '86 all nonturbo 900S models. I now have found one.... talk me into/out of it.

The car: 1985 900S Coupe. 5-speed. Silver (rose quartz?) exterior, tan cloth interior with sunroof. Peeling paint on hood/trunk/roof. Mileage unknown. New-ish clutch, has sat undriven for the past year (won't start. dead battery, more?)

First off, let it be known that this wouldn't be a restoration. For all you purists, YES that means throwing the bullnose parts in the trash and fitting a full SPG kit & 87+ facelift, lowered on cool wheels (shelbys...maybe) repainted in silver with colormatched SPG panels. Yum.

Now, from research I see that the '85 900S notch was a 8-valve. How... charming. Can I slap a 16v head onto this motor, or do I have to swap motors? Also I have most all parts to do a 16vt conversion: turbo, head, intercooler, piping & hoses, distributor, throttle body, minus the wiring harness, ex. manifold, etc.

So Show I have covered, it's the GO I'm concerned about. How dog-slow is a nonturbo 8v? Naww... don't answer that.

TTIWWOP.

Supposedly the hood is a crappy repaint (no car fire).

Opinions please. Talk me into/out of it.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I say go for it man... you got 2 already. (not like anyone needs to twist your arm, as you're gonna do it anyways. ;) )

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Do it! My uncle has that exact car except in a chocolate brown color, it's ultra sexay. Also, the 8v is so fast, it blows my mind :D

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Find somewhere you can work on it dry then strip to the bone and rebuild, as it'll be a bit special (one if not the only 2dr 16v in the US) you may aswell, then you can stick whastever engine you can get your hands on in it.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... There's something wrong with me.

Going to see it this afternoon, try to get it running :cheesy: I'm having bad thoughts, phrases like "airflow" and "viggen blue" keep running through my mind. Weird.

Did I mention its $250?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Buy that car, dammit. ;-)

I've been eying it on CL, and would grab it if I had the space; since I don't, you should.

All the clear-coats from that era are lousy, so don't sweat it.

You will need to do a harness swap to run Jetronic, or skip that and do MS.

CC the 8V head to see what you've got before deciding on a head. A 16VT engine is cheap from the PaP, though. Another option: NG900s are showing up in the PaP; I recently bought a 97 head for $25. See my blog and also saabrally.com for more info on that swap.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Do it.

But keep the pre-facelift stuff, unless you have all the post-facelift SPG stuff already.

Notchbacks are so cool.
Oh, and 16v swap.

:p

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Swap the engine, way easier.
You need to alter servo, timing-chain, head, manifolds, harness...
Swapping is easier!
Daniel

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I think you should leave the outside and make it a "sleeper" or rat-rod, dirty and manky on the outside but tuned to buggery under the hood.

Also I reckon you should stick with the stock engine, but stick huge carbs on it and nitrous it, go for something a bit different, 16v has been done...:lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
you got on your hands the best looking 900 body style cars the notch back 912.

i love them they are rare fix it right up install a 16 valve turbo upgrade the breaks and suspension and you will have a sweet ride.

sdenton

·
Registered
139 Posts
Between the odd rims and rust problems that looks exactly like a friends '85 BWM 325e.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You already know what you have to do. ;) I don't think it's rose quartz otherwise it would have a maroon interior.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Piggy-backing off your question about swapping a 16v head on, would I be able to put a 16v turbo head on a 16v n/a block? Would any of the 2.1 or 2.3l heads fit, and would that help me lower the compression ratio?

Just didn't seem like it was that big of a thing to start a whole new thread on.

And if that car's only $250, you'd better buy it...If nothing else keep it from getting junked.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
The 8V has lots of torque - they're slow when compared to a worked 16V Turbo like your 'vert - but off the line they can hold their own pretty well. I'd keep the pre-facelift front (partial to them myself) and build an 8V turbo engine for it - sure you'd have plenty of turbo lag - but when the boost came on - man howdy!

It'd be a great autocrosser - the coupe was the stiffest chassis built in so far as I can tell. Should be lighter than the hatches or four door coupes as well.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
PaulH's old notchback:

Way too cool.

Keep the flatfront!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts