SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've found out what the problem was with the '89 gearbox: the RH wheel bearing/hub.

Today the bearing was replaced and now the grumbling/grinding is even worse :eek: Doh!

So, the hub needs replacing: I have a spare pair of hubs that I know are fine from the old '85: can I swap them, ie put an '85 RH hub on the '89 and keep the '89 caliper..... The brake discs are vented on the '89 and non vented on the '85: will these swap over as well?

Bloomin' car, at least I know what the problem is now :D

Cheers,

Fraser

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't matter: I have 3 spoke wheels for both hub patterns. :D

All I am bothered about is can I use the old hub on the new car with the new brake disc and caliper?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Which bit are you wanting to change over just the hub, or the whole upright ? The whole upright will fit but you'd probably have to take the brakes from the old car too.
From a look at the parts listing the hub for vented is different to non vented disc, so swapping just hub doesn't look good.

·
4,637 Posts
Matthew,

Can you confirm that your commentary on the images is correct? "Steering 1986-89" suggests that the control arm / bearing carrier - item 1 in the image is the same for pre and post front handbrake cars. The difference between them seems to be down to the actual hubs - item 1 in both brakes images and the discs.

So, presumably the crucial bit Dr Rock wants to replace is the one bit that is not suitable!...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, the 'hubs' do swap, the upright bit that the ball joints and the steering knuckle fit into and has the wheel bearing and disc carrier on-that's the problem area.

The brake disc and caliper need to go with their respective 'hubs', but all I wanted to do really was put a different hub/wheel bearing on the car so I could check the driveshaft was alright.

Which it is, so it is definitely the RH 'hub' that is bad, despite having a new bearing in. What is happening is that the suspension components transmit and amplify the grinding/thunking noises and make it seem as though the sounds are coming from inside the gearbox/engine bay :roll:

Anyone got a RH '89 hub spare...? :D

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
cdaly said:
Can you confirm that your commentary on the images is correct? "Steering 1986-89" suggests that the control arm / bearing carrier - item 1 in the image is the same for pre and post front handbrake cars. The difference between them seems to be down to the actual hubs - item 1 in both brakes images and the discs.
The devil was in the details... I hadn't studied the parts list closely enough, thinking that the "1986-89" diagram wouldn't contain parts that didn't fit 1989 cars. I should have spotted the mistake. Thanks for pointing out the error :D

I have amended my post with the parts list. That seems to suggest that the steering swivel member did change fr MY88 onwards.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello everyone:

There are a special tool to remove part number 4 on the steering diagram (not the hammer). Does anyone have a picture of it or its name?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Changed the LH inner driver and axle this morning and the car is much better. Not quite there, but better. I noticed the LH wheel bearing had been hammered by the driveshaft/CV joint....

Anyway, off to get the wheels balanced tomorrow which should hopefully help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts