SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I’m new to the group.

I bought a 1996/P 9000 CSE 2.3 LPT back in February and have not driven it more than 20 miles since.

It’s cost me a fortune so far:

£230 to get it home when it broke down on the way home after purchasing it.

£570 to replace the automatic gearbox.

Then my wife drives it home from the garage and doesn't notice the oil pressure light on !!! The engine sounds like a sewing machine now and the Turbo is sh*gged too.

Anyway, I have been offered a replacement B234E engine and turbo with only 62K miles under it’s belt for £500 all delivered and guaranteed.

Trouble is the donor car is a manual.

Can I fit my ZF 4HP-18 to this engine ? I imagine that any different fittings can cannibalised from my old engine?

Andrew Jenkins
Swindon UK

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
yes it will fit as long as the engine is out of a 9000 newer than 94 you box will bolt to it, but if the new engine has the rear mount still fitted you will need to replace it with the one off your engine as it is differant on auto's to manual's

welcome to saabcentral, shame it wasnt under better circumstances :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now the Tricky bit - Exchanging The Engines

Well She’s gone!

We put her on a trailer and towed her back to the Garage she was at 3 weeks ago having the gearbox changed.

My new engine and Turbo should be arriving tomorrow. It’s a shame I don’t have the money to pay for the car to go through the garage’s books, but the piggybank is empty, so we’ll be fitting in our spare time.

My brother in law is a very experienced mechanic, but has never removed a Saab 9000 engine.

Has anyone got any advice? We don’t even know if the engine is dropped out from underneath or hoisted out from above.

Are there any good sites that show this procedure? I’ve already checked the Townsend one.

Is there any point in getting the Haynes manual ? I’ve found them next to useless.

When I had a Rover Sterling we had a Super CD with the Rover Workshop Manuals in PDF form. That was really useful. Is there something like in existence?

Wish me luck, as I think I’m going to need it.:cry:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts