SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With either a 4" disk grinder or unbolting the annoying thing?
At the junkyard I went to last tuesday there were 4-5 900's w/o the extra stud (and all had 90%+ stripped interiors...no turn signal stalk for me:() and if my '89 didn't have it, it'd make finding rims so much easier.

Evil Saab...4x108 is rare enough, but to go and put a frickin alignment stud in too? Thats just overkill.

Does it do anything anyway, other then help align the stud holes?

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
You can replace it with a screw just like the other one that holds the rotor when the wheel's off; or just leave it off.
Are you sure the wheels you covet have the same bolt pattern and offset?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were on earlier 900's, the 9000's I saw had 5 lugs/studs/holes. I assumed that all 900's have 4x108, with the 89(?)-93(?) SPG's haveing the extra stud, and that they all are interchangeable. Tirerack seemed to imply the same thing...the non SPG's they have 2 rims for but the SPG's they don't have any.

It's not that the ones I found are anything special...but I've got 4 or 5 sets of rims (only 2 or 3 don't have bent rims) for my Saturn, and 2 sets of tires for the 900, with only 1 set of rims. Kinda sucks....

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
fetchitfido said:
I assumed that all 900's have 4x108, with the 89(?)-93(?) SPG's haveing the extra stud, and that they all are interchangeable.
Sadly, no. The bolt pattern changed when they changed to rear handbrake ('87?). Before then the wheels were 4 x 114.3 and had no locating stud.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
As specialtool noted, they are not all interchangable. Only 88+ will fit your year of car. Actually only 88-1993+94vert (i think)

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
or all 9000 wheels. They are 4 bolt with the locating stud.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure the 9000's I saw were 5 lug (maybe I got confused with the stud...not used to haveing to account for it). So only '88-'93('94 vert) works? How even more annoying.

Wish it was a good idea to go back to that yard and check it out again...a friend I took this last time failed miserably to take advantage of a river running next to the yard. Hope the other yards have them.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Some weird questions:

1. Isn't 4x108 the same of a 4-lug Audi wheel? for some reasont he number sounds familiar...
  2. If I found an older Saab 900 with the front handbrake, could I yank the parts required to make that happen and install in my 88 without giving up the lug pattern it currently has?

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
supremedalek said:
If I found an older Saab 900 with the front handbrake, could I yank the parts required to make that happen and install in my 88 without giving up the lug pattern it currently has?
No.

·
4,637 Posts
I suspect not.

The front handbrake hub (pre '87) is quite different from the later version. The later version has a different stud pattern. The common points of the two are the bits where the balljoints and track rod ends connect.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
SupremeDalek said:
If I found an older Saab 900 with the front handbrake, could I yank the parts required to make that happen and install in my 88 without giving up the lug pattern it currently has?
Umm, what are you hoping to end up with?

You're coming at this from the aim of increasing wheel choice, right? A quick google suggests that neither the older (4x114.3/4x4.5") and the newer (4x108) PCDs are that unusual.

cdaly said:
I suspect not.

The front handbrake hub (pre '87) is quite different from the later version. The later version has a different stud pattern. The common points of the two are the bits where the balljoints and track rod ends connect.
So it certainly would be possible to have a rear handbrake car with front 4x4.5" PCD - just swap the hub in it's entirety, with no handbrake cable going to the caliper. What about the rear? Just swap hubs and disks?

I presume the front handbrake caliper mounts to the hub differently, so you couldn't put it on a complete later hub - but could you swap out the disk and outer hub, the rotating side of the wheel bearing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.