SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 900 SE LPT that already has 35mm lowering springs and sports dampers. I'd like it to go another 20mm maybe. It's on standard 15" wheels. Can you cut the springs or is there a simpler way???? Maybe I should get some larger wheels instead to fill the arches and give the impression of a lower car?
Cheers...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Daniel said:
It's a 900 SE LPT that already has 35mm lowering springs and sports dampers. I'd like it to go another 20mm maybe. It's on standard 15" wheels. Can you cut the springs or is there a simpler way???? Maybe I should get some larger wheels instead to fill the arches and give the impression of a lower car?
Cheers...
please don't chop the springs.

hmm. you could do some welding and relocate the top of the shock/spring mount, but that's even more work (though it's said to keep travel the same while lowering the vehicle).

you could get the specs on the current springs, then ask around the shops for something similar but lower.

i'd say get some larger wheels, 16"ers that aren't 'filled in' like the super aeros tend to give the illusion of a bigger diameter. 17" wheels are a little trickier in terms of offset and rear-fender-well rubbing.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Lowering your car

If you go for larger wheels the car will be further off the ground but with smaller gap between the tyre & arch, you could put thinner tyres on your 15's to drop it lower to the ground (that would increase the gap between tyre n arch though). but why, I have enough trouble with just sports springs, i'm always scrapping my mid box and have to take speed bumps diagonally to avoid grounding!

I'm sure the SPG's chassis are slightly lower so you may be able to take the suspension bits off one of those, not sure though, prob best to speak to an SPG owner.

If you check out the rescent posting called widest wheels possible or something like that there's loads of pic's of nice 17's.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Si said:
If you go for larger wheels the car will be further off the ground but with smaller gap between the tyre & arch.
If the tyre size is chosen correctly the 17" wheel will have the same total diameter as the original 15" setup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dont know if this helps, but I've just fitted some 17" 5 spokes to my 900i 16V convertible (1991) fitted with 205/45ZR17 tyres. The car has not been lowered yet as am waiting for springs to arrive (should drop it about 30mm). The additional alloy already gives the impression of more filled arches (compared to the old 15" alloys fitted with 175/50/15 tyres) so maybe bigger wheels is the answer.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts