SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's been a while since i've been on.

I have a question, which I can't seem to get a clear answer for.
I was looking to buy a 01 9-5 V6 from someone. They said that their turbo blew, and I was thinking about bringing over a turbo doing the job, and driving away.

I'm not familiar with turbo replacement, so for a quick fix I was thinking about pulling the bad turbo and replacing with it a silicone pipe or some sort of other pipe so I can drive it home (about 3 hour drive give or take 30 mins). And then complete the job at home, where I have more time, space and tools.

So it this method possible, of pulling the turbo and replacing it with a temp fix? I just don't want to cause damage to my engine or any other parts.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
On the V6 the turbo is integrated into the exhaust manifold. So you can't just remove it and run without it.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
You can drive a car with a "blown" turbo if you mean seals are blown, just may eat oil/coolant bring some with you

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there another way I may be able to hook up a pipe to the exhaust manifold?

I'm not sure what part of the turbo blew, From what I was told it just pushes out billows of smoke.

Is swapping out a turbo a difficult task? Can it be done on spot within an hour or so?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'd say it's a 3 wrench job :cool:. For the first timer it should probably take about 3 hrs. The problem is you can run into a number of snags that can increase that time many times. For instance if you are planning on replacing the whole turbo with exhaust manifold (they are one unit) then you'll have to remove the exhaust manifold studs from the cylinder head.

This can prove to be a challenging job if they are rusted and prone to snapping off.
If you plan on replacing just the CHRA (center housing rotating assembly) then it can be a real pain to get all the oil and coolant lines unbolted and bolted back up to the new one.
If you're interested I can email you a pdf of step by step (PM me if interested)

FYI: It would be impossible to drive without the turbo there would have to be some SERIOUS modification to make it work and even then it would probably run like garbage. Also when a turbo is destroyed you will get some ridiculous clouds of white smoke pumping out the back of that thing which means you'd be burning major oil.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Is there another way I may be able to hook up a pipe to the exhaust manifold?

I'm not sure what part of the turbo blew, From what I was told it just pushes out billows of smoke.

Is swapping out a turbo a difficult task? Can it be done on spot within an hour or so?
Is the smoke white or black/blue? doe it feel steamy from the exhaust.

Like I said, take lots of water and oil and drive it..
The V6 is a cartridge type, 4 bolts and an o-ring...

Not so hard but a bear to get to. x-boost has em new ( on fleabay now for 400 I think
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item414d1069c0

·
Registered
335 Posts
The easiest way to do this is to remove the CHRA (leave the turbine housing/manifold in place) and bolt a block off plate to the CHRA side of the turbine housing. I've seen this done before with no problems.

If you don't want to make a block off plate, you could also remove the CHRA, unbolt and remove the compressor wheel and the turbine wheel/shaft, then plug the oil feed line and put the (now empty) CHRA back in place.

I've seen both of these methods used in a crunch and they worked fine.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Why cant it be towed? :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
It could be. I'm guessing the bill from a 3 hour tow would not be pleasant.

I wonder if a bodge and a three hour drive would be any cheaper though :confused:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Rent a car trailer one way from Uhaul near the cars location, you can even rent a pick up to pull it if you don't have a tow vehicle.
The trailer with insurance is about $60, the truck is $20 plus miles (.79 weekdays, .99 weekends.) and fuel used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts