SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I were messing with an MBC and it made the car work, but only to the extent that this POS controller could or would work. Also, the APC seemed to make things hard for him, even as a performance tuner guy, he was stumped.

So he mentioned that I should buy his APEXi Digital Boost Controller, the in car unit, I can't remember all the letters. He said it needs to be wired to the ECU, I need an Air/Fuel gauge as well.
I started looking on here to see what was needed, but no one has dealt with this type of mod here, so I have to ask. It seems that the APC... sucks, I guess. I didn't know if it had to be shut off, bypassed, fooled, or what to allow the car to run more logically with higher, steady boost.
I know the APC is good for stopping engine knock in certain situations, but the car's boost fluctuates so much that you can't get an accurate read.

I guess I need someone to tell me where I should start and what I am not getting here. I am not too well versed in car tuning (bicycles are so much easier), so if someone can just lay out the basics of what I SHOULD do, that would be great.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
lol, your talking about the AFC. I JUST made a pot about this like a week ago...search for AFC....basicly it MIGHT work on t5, but deff not on a t7.

you mean motorbikes? or real bikes?

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Consider trionic the closest thing to A.I.

A manual boost controller is the simplest thing to install, a shop would probably overcomplicate the situation.

Instead of trying to mess with the whole system, just get an ECU upgrade, used ones can come in under $300.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean real bikes. No motors, just hyperactive skinny guys.

I tried the MBC, but it sucked. And even with it, the engine would cut out under high boost situations. My buddy has this boost controller, so why not go for it? Is the ECU upgrade reasonably priced?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
rojo412 said:
And even with it, the engine would cut out under high boost situations.
This is called a fuel cut. It is at 15.5 psi. The mbc does nothing to change this fuel cut, no matter what brand you buy. An ecu is neccessary to do this.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Rojo, I had a simliar experience when learning to work on my SAAB. I was like..Why can't this be like a bicycle tuneup(not saying they are any easier).

I had great success with an MBC I made from HomeDepot stuff..

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Why not go for it?
cuase it wont work, im tellin you...I actually had the same idea. and I asekd here on the board, locating the wires is hard, and also the afc cant properly tune anything, even by a certified dyno guy.

I dont have a t5, and i dont even have a SMBC on my t7 anymore, but from what I hear here, they are such a good mod, at least an amazing value cuase they are so cheap and riase peak boot.

I'm into road bikes, you ride mountain or road?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I'm starting to think this will just be a daily driver. When I can afford what I really want, I will just opt for that (oh, so many choices and none of them Swedish).
It's insane how much it takes to mess with this car's performance. Yeah, I am new to the sport tuning, so maybe it isn't that bad, but it's a lot more than I want to do for such a fickle machine. If I am going to build a street rod or a mad sleeper, it will not be a Saab, I'll tell you that.

For now, I'll try a nice MBC (the electronic one isn't for sale anymore anyway). If Home Despot parts can make one, I shall try that first. If not, I can blow $60 on something fancy. I really can't see myself spending the money on an ECU, BOV, exhaust, suspension, crazy boost control, A/F gauge, strut braces, etc, for a FWD car that won't appreciate it anyway.

And as for bikes, I am an Urban Assault rider, I guess is the best way to put it. I have a mountain bike (Giant STP frame, custom components) set up for street riding and general abuse (I am a big guy and can waste basic bikes in 3 seconds).
I have a road bike that is my show piece, but barely gets ridden. I like building bikes a bit more than riding them.
I really want to get a motorcycle, a Ducati if I ever get the cash.

·
Registered
483 Posts
rojo412 said:
for a FWD car that won't appreciate it anyway.
I dont know about that, i think my car appreciates everything I have done to it, and i defently appreciate it. I love the way my car handles now, its amazing, and to think I am not even done with what i want to do to it suspension wise, let alone power wise. FWD cars can be made to handle very well, and can also behave in a neutral matter at the limit.

Anyway these car are also very good and reliable as a daily driver, and its ok if you dont want to mod the crap out of it, maybe just some nice wheels to sharpen up the looks a bit, too each his own, SC will be with you either way

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
First of all, this is a Saab, not a Honda. You don't have to bring in $1000's in gadgetry to make this car go faster. Saab Trionic can do that just fine. There are many people making these cars go pretty fast.

Let me explain your problems to you.

1. Stock, the 900 turbo is limited by trionic to around 9-10 psi of boost, already more than most add on kits allow you unless you choose to tear open the engine and add low compression pistons and other assorted upgraded internals.

2. Adding an MBC to a 900 will allow you (with less than 30 minutes of tuning IF you know what you are doing) to reach approximately 15.5 psi of boost. More than this and a fuel cut will kick in.

3. Fuel cut, what's that? Saab saw fit to prevent us from blowing up our engines by programming in a fuel cut at 15.5 psi b/c that's close to the limit of what the engine can handle without rewriting the software to allow better fueling for the boost.

4. New software? Several reputable Saab tuners will swap out your ECU for an upgraded one which removes the fuel cut at 15.5 and give you better fueling (with stock fuel injectors) and more boost (again, on the stock turbo). There's nothing fickle about it.

5. Blown engine? I've never had one and nether have most of the folks here! Why? That "fickle" Saab software and its margin of safety (not to mention one stout 2.0l block). I urge you to ask your buddy how many blown Hondas and Mitsus he's heard about. W/ no margin of error and some weekend warrior doing your tuning, chances are much greater that you'll be thumbing for rides. Go buy a "Turbo" magazine and read about what I am saying.

6. More boost? You can't just keep cranking up the boost on a car without ensuring that you have proper fueling to match. This would result in leaning which ends up pretty much blowing up your engine. Great thing about a 900 turbo is you can go up pretty much around 100 hp with a bigger free-flowing exhaust, better intake, and a tuned ECU. Let's not even mention the fact that there are a few bigger turbos that swap in quite nicely. Oh, and did someone say bigger injectors?

7. Dime a dozen? Sure, there are plenty more tuning options for Japanese and even German cars. Why? There are more of them! Saab didn't import 10 million 900s. Gotta tell you, I never tire of showing tail lights to little ricer cars. Tail lights of a luxurious 3,400 lb tank of a car without trashy 15 ft high wing on the back! It's one sucker punch of a sleeper. But hey, why am I telling you this? I'd rather less people knew!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
you say u r new to the sport tuning thing, well three is your problem.. u started with a car that is already pretty quick to begin with, and u think nothing will make it faster... if u want a good sleeper a saab is def the way to go.. look around u and see how many people think a saab will pull on them..

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
also, you said the saab was gonna be a daily driver, inferring what? that you were gonna turn it into some track machine?....Most os us on the board here have tuned daily drivers. the saab, in my opinion, wouldnt be a GREAT candidate for a track car, they are fast as h*ll, but the money you'd need to put into it would be a humoungous amount.

How old are you?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
cpenning623 said:
the saab, in my opinion, wouldnt be a GREAT candidate for a track car
I dunno.... I like it as the daily driver myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts