SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....and not rape me on price. yes i have the donor car's vin number. I went back and forth with the local dealership telling them it was possible to accomplish with out the donor car being present and they insisted it wasnt. then a Saab 'expert' around the way told me it was a 2-3 hour job, lol.

can anybody on here do it? i'm 10 min from Boston & 20 from the NH border.

Thank you

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in morose ma and i go to a guy in metguen. The guys name is Reggie
At foreign auto works. Its his shop and he specializes in saabs. He's very knowledgeable and fair priced.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
If the replacement radio was not divorced from the donor cars I Bus you can't marry it to another car with just the VIN #. Who told you it could done? The radio has to be in the car to divorce or marry; if it were that simple one would think the dealer could provide the code with just the Vin; not so because the dealer can only provide codes if the unit belongs to that car and Vin thru the I bus. If it wasn't divorced at the junk yard that radio is useless to you. Don't waste your money on a Tech II service; if one guy say he can do it in a few hours (don't know how) get him to guarantee that; so you can get your money back if he can't be done.

....and not rape me on price. yes i have the donor car's vin number. I went back and forth with the local dealership telling them it was possible to accomplish with out the donor car being present and they insisted it wasnt. then a Saab 'expert' around the way told me it was a 2-3 hour job, lol.

can anybody on here do it? i'm 10 min from Boston & 20 from the NH border.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
It depends upon the model year, but this can be done for at least some Saabs.

The work-around is to temporarily 'fool' the radio that your car is the donor car by overwriting the VIN (can't be saved to the car, it is a temporary thing). Thus divorced, then you can marry to the new car as normal.

My indy shop has done this for a friend's 9-3 with no issues.

And, 2-3 hours sounds about what they should charge for this. $300-400 is what I'd expect to pay. Pay it and be happy they can do it.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
The 2001 does call for a Tech II to have this done. The problem is that newer year radio is tied into the theft system. Either pay the $$$ to get it done if it can be done or get a radio that's been divorced. The only problem you may have when you do it (without the divorce) is if you ever have to remove the radio again it may ask for the code again to make it work.

It depends upon the model year, but this can be done for at least some Saabs.

The work-around is to temporarily 'fool' the radio that your car is the donor car by overwriting the VIN (can't be saved to the car, it is a temporary thing). Thus divorced, then you can marry to the new car as normal.

My indy shop has done this for a friend's 9-3 with no issues.

And, 2-3 hours sounds about what they should charge for this. $300-400 is what I'd expect to pay. Pay it and be happy they can do it.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Here's a thought; if you can find the wire to the I Bus and disconnect it; you might be able to bypass need for thr tech II/radio code, Just a thought. By the way what was wrong with the original radio?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the replacement radio was not divorced from the donor cars I Bus you can't marry it to another car with just the VIN #. Who told you it could done? The radio has to be in the car to divorce or marry; if it were that simple one would think the dealer could provide the code with just the Vin; not so because the dealer can only provide codes if the unit belongs to that car and Vin thru the I bus. If it wasn't divorced at the junk yard that radio is useless to you. Don't waste your money on a Tech II service; if one guy say he can do it in a few hours (don't know how) get him to guarantee that; so you can get your money back if he can't be done.
this is where i got my info from
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...=marry+changer

the cd player stopped working in my original. i paid $25 for the replacement but if its going to cost $300-400 to marry divorce i think id rather just get a new cd player that has bluetooth or a usb slot

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
this is where i got my info from
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...=marry+changer

the cd player stopped working in my original. i paid $25 for the replacement but if its going to cost $300-400 to marry divorce i think id rather just get a new cd player that has bluetooth or a usb slot
...and this is why I have a Panasonic aftermarket unit.

A word of caution: Check the 9-5 audion FAQ here.

If you try to just splice in a typical aftermarket unit you get either a bunch of very loud pops when you change settings or you may get very distorted sound. This information will explain why.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, all. This is my 1st post here and wanted to share a bit of useful info IRO "fixing" your CD player when/if it goes belly-up.

Basically in my UK 9-5 Aero (2000 year of make) my CD player gave up ages ago. I had it out, took it to bits and cleaned the lens with Isopropryl alcohol, put it back together, whacked it back in the car and it worked! For 1 disk only. As soon as I changed CDs it packed up again. I'm not sure if this was because the 2nd CD was one I'd burnt on my PC instead of a professionally made CD (it was the Jackson 5 greatest hits in case you're interested - it was the 1st one my hand fell on in the cupboard!).

Anyway, the long and the short of it is I did figure something out during this whole process and now have a working CD player again in my car without the need for a Tech 2 Divorce and Marriage ceremony. This is what I did.

BY THE WAY - I'VE GOT THE RADIO / TAPE / CD UNIT
1.) Buy a 2nd hand unit with a working CD player.
2.) Remove your unit with the broken CD player.
3.) Remove the screws that hold the front of the radio on.
4.) Unclip the front of the radio.
5.) Lever off the metal top of the radio which will expose inner workings of the CD portion of the unit.
6.) Looking down into the CD portion you'll see 4 screw heads roughly in each corner. Unscrew them.
7.) Carefully lift out the CD unit but watch out for the ribbon cable connected beneath. Just disconnect this and the whole unit will come away.
8.) Repeat all of the above steps to take the working CD portion out of your newly purchased replacement unit.
9.) Refit this working CD portion into your unit making sure you connect the ribbon cable properly, screw it back in place (which is tricky) and put the lid back on.
10.) Clip the front of the unit back on, screw it in place and then replace the whole unit in the car.
11.) Turn it on, stick a CD in and enjoy!

I am not an electrician or anything like that and consider myself average when it comes to DIY stuff so if I can do this most of you should be able to as well. I can only assume the chips that log the unit's identity are not in the CD portion of it hence the reason you can swap them over like this.

I hope this helps some of you. Does anyone know:

1.) If playing home-burnt CDs will cause these Saab CD players to fail?
2.) What part of the unit stores it's identity?
3.) Can you "brick" a unit or lock your car's ability to use a radio by putting a non-divorced unit into your car? The reason I ask is I am considering experimenting replacing some other bits from my replacement radio but don't want to ruin my current handywork.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
That's why I asked; this is just what I recently found out. I did the MP3 mod on the head unit and had to take it apart; at first I was going to use a spare radio I have but before I did I plugged it; and it asked for a code (on a 1999 :confused:) so I had to take mine apart (very easy) when I plugged in the original it was fine. When you do the mod you have to remove the CD and cassette (very easy). Playing burnt CD's won't do the deck any harm; but some CD's won't play; I get the blank CD’s that say; for music not data these seem to work the best. If you're only changing mechanical parts you should be fine. The memory (just a guess) I think that's the smaller PCB at the harness connection; but it could be on the main PCB some items are marked on the board; but you have to take the whole radio apart to get to the bottom of the main board.

Hi, all. This is my 1st post here and wanted to share a bit of useful info IRO "fixing" your CD player when/if it goes belly-up.

Basically in my UK 9-5 Aero (2000 year of make) my CD player gave up ages ago. I had it out, took it to bits and cleaned the lens with Isopropryl alcohol, put it back together, whacked it back in the car and it worked! For 1 disk only. As soon as I changed CDs it packed up again. I'm not sure if this was because the 2nd CD was one I'd burnt on my PC instead of a professionally made CD (it was the Jackson 5 greatest hits in case you're interested - it was the 1st one my hand fell on in the cupboard!).

Anyway, the long and the short of it is I did figure something out during this whole process and now have a working CD player again in my car without the need for a Tech 2 Divorce and Marriage ceremony. This is what I did.

5.) Lever off the metal top of the radio which will expose inner workings of the CD portion of the unit.
6.) Looking down into the CD portion you'll see 4 screw heads roughly in each corner. Unscrew them.
7.) Carefully lift out the CD unit but watch out for the ribbon cable connected beneath. Just disconnect this and the whole unit will come away.
8.) Repeat all of the above steps to take the working CD portion out of your newly purchased replacement unit.
9.) Refit this working CD portion into your unit making sure you connect the ribbon cable properly, screw it back in place (which is tricky) and put the lid back on.
10.) Clip the front of the unit back on, screw it in place and then replace the whole unit in the car.

I am not an electrician or anything like that and consider myself average when it comes to DIY stuff so if I can do this most of you should be able to as well. I can only assume the chips that log the unit's identity are not in the CD portion of it hence the reason you can swap them over like this.

3.) Can you "brick" a unit or lock your car's ability to use a radio by putting a non-divorced unit into your car? The reason I ask is I am considering experimenting replacing some other bits from my replacement radio but don't want to ruin my current handywork.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Sound quality is fantastic, after using the cassette adaptor; that's were the switch comes in; it mutes all other functions for better sound. For the female connection I used radio shack item # 274-0249 1/8" 3.5mm stereo jack. Been meaning to this for months; I'm glad I finally got it done; you will be happy with the sound quality.

how did you wire in the female aux jack? the guy uses a 3.5mm male cable. but i would prefer what you did.

oh and how is the sound quility?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you get this sorted out?
Hey, sorry for the late response, I just got back from vacation. I haven't made any moves with that yet because of costs. Ideally I would love to go with the mp3 player mod and forget the cd player all together. I probably wouldn't be able to do that though...soldering on a circuit board. If the option was available I would pay to have it done. If swapping just the cd players from each unit will work I might make attempt at that in the near future.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I was in MA just last week; 30 mi SW of Boston. I would've helped you out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

so i just did this and no luck. I think only because i tried to put an '02 player into my '01 unit. the setups were a little different. the '02 had a different bracket, more screws (6) holding the cd player to the bracket and a smaller ribbon cable. i was able to switch brackets and get the cd player where i needed it w/o any issues. my problem was with the ribbon cable. my '01 unit was slightly slightly bigger than it's adapter on the '02 cd player. so i ended up just using the smaller ribbon from the replacement unit in its entierty.

got everything back together, reinstalled the unit, started the car...no sid messages, radio worked, tape worked. i go to pop a cd in and there's no response, it wouldnt even pull it in...like its DEAD. ahhhhhhhh i thought i had it. damn i was pumped earlier when i read your message.

maybe i can try to get the original ribbon into the adapter on the new cd player.......

@Saaber95er
i appreciate that man...wish i was around

1 - 20 of 26 Posts