SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the dipstick from my 01 when I replaced the transmission.
I know there is a bolt on the housing where the dip stick was replaced by nothing. Anybody convert it?

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,287 Posts
I know there is a bolt on the housing where the dip stick was replaced by nothing. Anybody convert it?
I wonder how the tube is attached to the housing on the 05 down years. Be nice if it were threaded but doubtful. I just use the dipstick off my 05 to check the level. I’d say about 3/4 of the plastic end of stick will fit inside before the wider part of plastic won’t go past anyway. Level was correct after doing a change. But that cap is no fun removing at times because of the amount of force needed to break it. I’d like to know if anyone has done a McGeiver(?) on this.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wonder how the tube is attached to the housing on the 05 down years. Be nice if it were threaded but doubtful. I just use the dipstick off my 05 to check the level. I’d say about 3/4 of the plastic end of stick will fit inside before the wider part of plastic won’t go past anyway. Level was correct after doing a change. But that cap is no fun removing at times because of the amount of force needed to break it. I’d like to know if anyone has done a McGeiver(?) on this.
I haven't actually done it yet but I did figure out how to MacGyver it on my '08.

You need a dipstick and dipstick tube from a '05 down car. Then, here's the magic, an eBay O2 sensor spacer has the correct thread (M18-.5) to install into the transmission and the correct ID to install the dipstick tube into the O2 sensor adapter.

I did buy the parts and this approach will work. The only difficulty is figuring out exactly how much to cut off the end of the dipstick tube to install it into the O2 sensor adapter.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

I removed an ATF dipstick from a junk-yard '06 to place on my '08. (apparently the '06 Dame Ednas all still had dipsticks). It won't fit! The diameter at the base of the tube is too large to fit in the threaded hole of the '08 transmission case.

So I bought a M18x1.5 shouldered plug with recessed hex from Grainger and replaced the Torx ATF Fill Plug with its torn/shredded T-55 nubs in the too shallow recess.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

The tube has a shoulder on the bottom end, just above the widened section, that secures an O-ring. There is a mounting bolt/stud which anchors the tube in place by anchoring the tube against the Neutral Safety Switch. No anchoring at the bottom end, just the extended larger diameter section which fits inside the case, the O-ring which is squeezed against the outside of the case and the tube, and the strange stud that provides the squeezing force by mounting to the NSS housing.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,287 Posts

I removed an ATF dipstick from a junk-yard '06 to place on my '08. (apparently the '06 Dame Ednas all still had dipsticks). It won't fit! The diameter at the base of the tube is too large to fit in the threaded hole of the '08 transmission case.

So I bought a M18x1.5 shouldered plug with recessed hex from Grainger and replaced the Torx ATF Fill Plug with its torn/shredded T-55 nubs in the too shallow recess.
Gettin 1 of these

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

The too small UK sourced plug 17mm plug at left, the too large 19mm plug which was sold to me as a direct replacement for the OEM T55 plug (by a SAAB parts supplier!) on the right, the correct 18mm plug with 3/8 hex recess from Grainger in center. See link below:

https://www.grainger.com/product/PARKER-M18-x-1-1-2-Hollow-Hex-Plug-39A344

Look for Hydraulic Plugs in the Grainger catalog. Price was ~$8 with local pick-up. Bel-Metric was a buck or so cheaper but they required shipping, whereas Grainger has a Warehouse/Store only 6 miles from my home. Easy choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts