SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. So my headlights suck now. Purchased new Xenon bulbs, cleaned the outside plastic, still no better. They are almost worthless and I literally have to run with brights on. The best diagnoses so far is that the silver backing in the headlamp assembly has faded (2006 9-3 Aero), thus no brightness.

To fix that means taking apart the headlamp assembly (no idea how it is sealed) and spray painting a new silver, or purchase new. New is about $325 each.

New for the halogen version that I now wish I had is only $100 each. Doable. So If there is a way to just pop it in there that would be great. I would imagine it would be powered by the same ballister box behind it but IDK.

Anyone?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Are we talking about high beams or low beams?
If low, there is NO reflector, only lens.
If high, NO xenon, only H7.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
What brand of bulbs you used?

Saab recommends Osram or Philips.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some newer Korean Brand, they were less expensive and seemed to have good reviews. But for the record anyway, can a new halogen headlamp unit replace a xenon/HID unit?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I found the diagnoses. From the Retrofitlab.com page about SAAB HID's 2002-2007:

"The bi-xenon setup features a 3.0-inch projector, designed in the late 90s. These projectors are known to lose their reflective layer right to the point where they become black inside, causing dangerously low light output."

That explains why the high beams are okay and the HID's are so low. So, new projectors are needed. On to the next search. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Some newer Korean Brand, they were less expensive and seemed to have good reviews. But for the record anyway, can a new halogen headlamp unit replace a xenon/HID unit?
Yes, light leveling do not work.
You have to reprogram UEC to halogens.

Get rid of korean junk and use only Philips or Osram bulbs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, light leveling do not work.
You have to reprogram UEC to halogens.

Get rid of korean junk and use only Philips or Osram bulbs.
Thanks for the tip on that, and I will.

So shopping around, a new HID headlamp is $300 each best price. Halogen is about $100. If I could find someone or some way to take apart the headlamp unit then I could get away with changing out the 2 burnt with 2 new HID lens projectors for $180 or so. I really don't have the money to spend $600+ for new HID headlight units that will go bad again in 5-10 years anyway, with the nagging displeasure that they are slowly dying.

LED upgrade lights can be bought for D2S (Saab) style HID's for $50-$80, and put in 2 new headlamp units ($200 or so) we're looking at about $300 not counting labor. Plus the LED's should last much longer and not require any ballasts, saving that down the road as well. The lighting might not be as superb, but it's worth the trade off.

So your saying that a Tech 2 is needed to reprogram to Halogen right? What other adjustments would be needed?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
You could retrofit new HID projectors into your existing housings. EVOX-R v2 projectors are a pretty straightforward swap for the original projectors. The existing ballast and ignitor units should work with that version projector. You just need to use oven or some other method to separate the lens from back housing. Look up retrofitting headlights. The place linked above is a good resource. Also headlight junkies on FB has good info - just be prepared for attitude . They have plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts