SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a 2003 9-3 Saab vector 2.0T. I bought this car trying to build it as a track car but I’m having trouble finding legit after market websites for it. Can anyone guide me in the right direction please ??

·
Registered
2005 9-3 Aero, 5-speed Automatic, B207R
224 Posts
There are a fair number of companies making aftermarket parts, so you'll need to be more specific in what parts you need. For most components on your Saab you will want OEM.
For example, Maptun sells Stage X kits, which include any software and hardware for a specific target.
If you know what you want, be specific - like "Who makes a good 3" downpipe?"

·
Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
96 Posts
In all frankness, but a 9-3 is everything but a good track car IMHO. Of course you can turn every car into a track car, but it's the amount of money, work, availability of parts and time you have to invest; thats why I think that you might be better off with a Miata or 3 Series for example.

But if you want to go that way with your 9-3, look for renown brands first (e.g. Bilstein and H&R for the suspension).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are a fair number of companies making aftermarket parts, so you'll need to be more specific in what parts you need. For most components on your Saab you will want OEM.
For example, Maptun sells Stage X kits, which include any software and hardware for a specific target.
If you know what you want, be specific - like "Who makes a good 3" downpipe?"
At the moment I need upgraded sway bar links, coils, down pipe, turbos on its way out cause it still stock with 174,000 miles on it, control arms and I need to find and iron block to go above 210 hp. I know these blocks are foam or sand casted so I don’t want to attempt high power without a rebuild. I’m trying to focus on handling at the moment. Then once I know it can handle the mountain turns with no roll and give I’ll up the power and push time attacks. I’ve Hurd moog is good for such things like sway bar end links and control arms and tie rods but ppl also tell me rock auto for everything.
Point is I need to upgrade my handling.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Handling is a tough one... I got my 9-3 aero... it has better handling.. of course.. I did got it for 1500 usd

I'd look at rock auto as I'm sure it has a lot of brand name aftermarket parts. That's where I got my ngk coils. Only took 4 days to deliver as canadian tire sold off brand coils for twice the price.

Billstein I hear is good. You can go upto 270+ on a stock block... you need an intercooler for 270+ and coils at least.

·
Registered
2005 9-3 Aero, 5-speed Automatic, B207R
224 Posts
If you have a goal and plan, you'll probably be able to find the parts you're looking for (though some may need to be made for you). What I've found in the few short years with a Saab is they put a lot of thought into the car (I drive an Aero) and there are few "cheap" upgrades. The engine, turbo, and stock components are good for their power and a Stage 1 tune doesn't require anything extra. A Stage 2 tune is even minimal hardware.

I use Rock Auto and eSaabParts to get most parts for my Aero. I recently rebuilt my suspension with parts from both those sites.
Bilstein (B6 / B8) and Koni (yellow / red) make good shocks / struts (when they're available), and I have H&R lowering springs. A few other companies make lowering springs for our cars. I went with Sachs sport shocks and struts, and OEM components for the rest of those assemblies.
DO88 makes quality hoses and intercooler/ piping - when it's time for my intercooler upgrade that is likely what I'll go with.
I've used Moog components on other vehicles without issue - be sure to get their "Problem Solver" line (K in part name I believe), but I've heard that some parts are inferior. I buy problem solver line, inspect before installing, and haven't had issues.
Taliaferro makes a nice 3" down pipe, and a few others are out there as well. They are likely who I'll buy a downpipe from.
For sway bar links and coils, I'd stick with stock unless there is a need for something else.

·
Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
96 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts