SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this check engine line on and the code reads Camshaft positioning sensor...Where is it located in a 1997 Saab 900 SE Turbo? I been searching the part online and there seems to be several different ones which i can understand why because of all the submodels there are but how do i know which one is mine? the 900 seems to jitter a bit when accelerating hard, and from what ive read this is a symptom with this sensor going bad? Help?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The camshaft position sensor code is a generic OBD2 fault code, which in a turbo t5/t7 car means the Direct Ignition Cassette (DIC) could be on its way out.

There is a crankshaft position sensor, but this would throw a different fault code. It is on the front of the block, to the right and rear of the downpipe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The camshaft position sensor code is a generic OBD2 fault code, which in a turbo t5/t7 car means the Direct Ignition Cassette (DIC) could be on its way out.

There is a crankshaft position sensor, but this would throw a different fault code. It is on the front of the block, to the right and rear of the downpipe.
So you are saying that when the code reads CAMSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR its not the sensor itself but the DIC? When searching for the part, Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors look the same...is there some ambiguity between the two terms and what they mean and are there a CAMSHAFT SENSOR and a CRANKSHAFT SENSOR? and what should i be looking for then? the SENSOR or the DIC? Thanks!;ol;

·
Registered
19,051 Posts
If the code was for the CAMshaft sensor, it's a DIC or spark plug issue. Replace the plugs with NGK coppers properly gapped. Reset the code. If it comes back, odds are that you need a new DIC.

·
Registered
497 Posts
... When searching for the part, Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors look the same...is there some ambiguity between the two terms and what they mean and are there a CAMSHAFT SENSOR and a CRANKSHAFT SENSOR? ...;ol;
Common misconception when reading codes

If the code was for the CAMshaft sensor, it's a DIC or spark plug issue. Replace the plugs with NGK coppers properly gapped. Reset the code. If it comes back, odds are that you need a new DIC.
Follow Bob's instructions above

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Common misconception when reading codes

Follow Bob's instructions above
I will def try to check this out. I am really a newbie when it comes to working on cars, so the thought of opening this DIC to get to the spark plugs and replacing them seems like a daunting task to me. I guess I am a big boy now and should start getting my hands dirty. Thanks again for all your input and any tips are welcome! ;ol; [/QUOTE]

·
Registered
818 Posts
Dic

Nothing daunting there. You just need the right torq (sp?) bits and go, some people put dielectric grease atop each plug before re-installing the DIC. There is nothing inside it to repair, new ones are a little pricey, you might want to check ebay. Most people steer clear of the Chineese copies so be sure that you find a Saab/GM part number,

Good time to replace the plugs too if you don't like the looks of them, be sure to use the recommended plug and gap, this can influnce DIC life span,

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
19,051 Posts
Yeah... very easy. You need a torx driver for the screws that hold the DIC in but it's in the trunk toolkit. To do the plugs all you need is a ratchet, a plug socket, and a 12" extension. Work when the motor is cold. Oh... you will also need a plug gapper.

Anyone can do this job, even if you don't do a lot of DIY. Don't substitute for the plugs: we prefer NGK copper around here, but you can use the factory suggested platinum ones if you want.

EDIT: I see you have a 1997 - use the plug in the manual, factory didn't start with platinum until the 9-3.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I went and got the tools that I need, I was rather disturbed that 3 of the bolts on the DIC came off WITH MY HANDS by just turning them...I know that is not normal!...only one was really tight!.... So i should use the NKG or the platinum? the NKG are rather cheap but neither Autozone or Oreilly have them ready in stock, so id have to order them....Again many thanks! PartsGeek and RockAuto have the DIC from $149-$199.....Chinese?

·
Registered
19,051 Posts
Get the NGK copper plugs. Change them every 10K. Smile.

That's a chinese DIC. Any DIC for sale new for less than $320 new is Chinese... unless you find someone who bought an original and is selling it off (usually because they sold their Saab).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts