SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day

Regular lurker here, and the proud owner of a nice '89 900i 3dr. I love my SAAB to bits, but made the mistake of accepting a ride in an '88 Aero a couple of weeks back. I now have it in my head that, come heck or high water, I'll own a c900 Aero before I die. Turbo fever has bitten something chronic.

I have plenty of time to look around, and would really like to find a good example rather than accept a bucket of bolts because I'm impatient to own one. I was hoping I could draw on the experiences of other Aero owners (particularly Aussies!) in gathering advice on Aero-hunting down under.

I see a lot of '87 and '88 models for sale, but not many of any other vintage. I'm keen to get the newest car I possibly can, since I'd want to hang onto it for about 5 years at least. The Red Book tells me Aeros were sold here under three model designations: TU316M ('87-'88); TU3M16S ('89-'90); and TU4M16S ('91-'92). Can anyone confirm or deny this info, and point out any differences between these suckers? What are my chances of finding one of the later ones in the next 12 months or so?

Thanks in advance for any advice, warnings, anecdotes and rants you have to offer!

TiM

·
Super Moderator EMERITUS
8,806 Posts
Try posting a message with the folks in the Saab Club of Australia. I am a member and know of a few people that know more than the average person should about the c900 Aero in Aussie. Very nice examples they own too.
Perhaps it's a good opportunity to join.

http://www.saabclub.org.au/

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am pretty sure that in Australian market the majority of genuine Aero's ceased around 89, or put it this way I never came across any during my time working in the repair industry.

There are lots of 90 to 93 model 900's running around with Aero kits on them but they are just non turbo 900's with the body kit. I think they started fitting the Aero kits and extra's to the Australian market as an incentive to sell vehicles during that timeframe.

I am open to be shot down in flames but that is my experience and observations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments!

Cuba, I've downloaded the application form for SCCA in the past, but never filled it out because I was a starving student. Now that I'm employed, maybe it's time to join up. There's got to be a few Aero nuts here is Brisbane...

Baldy, your impression seems to agree with mine about the lack of real Aeros after '89. However, one of the ones Cinemarr pointed out claimed to be a '91 Aero. (It was auto though; were they ever sold with slushboxes?). Back to the Red Book site for me!

Cinemarr, thanks for the links (and the advice in emails ;)). I was keen to have a look at the white one last weekend, but my girlfriend was moving house...and guess whose gigantic boot was called into action. :D

Thanks again, and keep the advice coming!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Aero's in Australia did peak in the late 80's early 90's due to that fact that the GM movement was ago.

The absolute gold mine of a 900 is the Aero-s, extremely limited number were bought in 1991 and sold as MY1992 and MY1993, even better is to find one of these in manual form, about 5 are here if memory serves correctly.

If you look hard enough you will find one in good condition. Sometimes the smaller car yards are a worth a good look, the manual transmission is the only one to look at in my opinion as the auto's can't cope with higher boost if you were to start tinkering.

my advice is to get it check by a independent mechanic or dealer, but steer clear Racq or any of those motor organisations as their knowledge is no were near that of a Saab Tech.

Like Cuba said, i am one of the people that know too damm much about my car (900 Aero) have to get a life!!, post a message on our forums and we will see if we can help a bit more.

Saab Car Club of Australia Limited

Hope that Helps

al

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Aero_Al!

I'm very intrigued to hear about those Aero S models, but sad about how few and far between you say the manuals are.

I just found this one on AutoWeb. Check out how low the kms are!!! Only problems are: 1. Price and 2. Auto :( Is there even a snowflake's chance in heck of me doing a manual tranny swap into this one, or is it just not worth the time and effort? Could my standard 89 900i be the donor, or are the Aero bits strengthened compared to N/A models (I suspect this to be the case).

I'm in a great lather of excitement here at work, as this looks like a cool car, but geezz.....price and tranny....price and tranny... :x

Thank-you all for the advice so far!

PS. Printed and filled out an SCCA membership form. I just need to find someone with a chequebook now... :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That price is a joke!

My car is an Aero but still a 900i. On the plus side though the 1990 - 1993 900i's got the new 2.1L engine with twin overhead cams so it has more grunt than a regular 900i.

If I had to choose between a regular turbo or an aero kitted 900i I'd take the 900i (I'm shallow and superficial, it's all about the look and style for me) Aero kits are very hard to come by on their own and very exspensive at that. Plus I wouldn't give up my whale tail for anything! But on the other hand if you can find a 900 turbo aero that is mechanically A1 for under 6k or 7k at most and it's a manual then get on your skates!

click here for MY specs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts