SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on ebay. if you have painted your calipers, these decals can be applied as a finishing touch.

I dont want to start "caliper wars" all over again. Take a look, make your own mind up and if you have any constructive comments post here.

BTW I have no connection to the person or persons selling this product. Ive posted a link for the convenience of forum users here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAAB-Brake-Caliper-Decals-900-96-99-90-9000-9-3-9-5_W0QQitemZ4566700561QQcategoryZ10416QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
I saw them too the other day - and to be honest, i think the look OK.

I seriously thinking about painting my calipers silver, just so i dont have to look at the grotty state that they are now. If i do ever get round to doing it, i may stick some of them decals on!.

Now, where did i put that MaxPower subscription.....:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
I like it. I am thinking of painting my calipers black just because they are such and eyesore. Any suggestions on what color you think would look best?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,774 Posts
hi guys. here is an even better idea. paint the caliper in the area where you want the decal in a contrast color, like white. THEN DRY THOROUGHLY...

next, affix the decal over the paint. and then paint the caliper the color you want, like black or red or...

DRY THOROUGHLY and remove the decal. now your logo is PAINTED on instead of just a sticker that can peel away or degrade.

cheers!:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
hi guys. here is an even better idea. paint the caliper in the area where you want the decal in a contrast color, like white. THEN DRY THOROUGHLY...

next, affix the decal over the paint. and then paint the caliper the color you want, like black or red or...

DRY THOROUGHLY and remove the decal. now your logo is PAINTED on instead of just a sticker that can peel away or degrade.

cheers!:cool:
Wow thats better than my option 2: Potato Prints:lol: . Have you painted your calipers then??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,774 Posts
JWLANKY said:
Wow thats better than my option 2: Potato Prints:lol: . Have you painted your calipers then??
that is one of my upcoming projects. Can't decide on black, viggen blue or something else. If I get new brakes sometime I will have them powdercoated maybe even black chrome or gunmetal. too many choices.:roll: it will probably be black for now though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JWLANKY said:
I saw them too the other day - and to be honest, i think the look OK.

I seriously thinking about painting my calipers silver, just so i dont have to look at the grotty state that they are now. If i do ever get round to doing it, i may stick some of them decals on!.

Now, where did i put that MaxPower subscription.....:lol:
Good choice! Perhaps the closest to the colour they were when new, so quite stock looking and not too boy racerish. Ive got the paint in to do mine this weekend. I took the plunge and ordered some black decals, as they were relatively cheap. I havent made my mind up yet whether i will stick them on or not yet. might live with the plain painted caliper for a week or so, and give the paint a good chance to harden properly.

MaxPower? Thought you were a Redline type of guy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
abdukted1456 said:
hi guys. here is an even better idea. paint the caliper in the area where you want the decal in a contrast color, like white. THEN DRY THOROUGHLY...

next, affix the decal over the paint. and then paint the caliper the color you want, like black or red or...

DRY THOROUGHLY and remove the decal. now your logo is PAINTED on instead of just a sticker that can peel away or degrade.

cheers!:cool:
good idea! not sure how easy it will be to peel the decal off when its been painted over, as the high temperature paint used tends to go off pretty hard. the stuff i use is brush applied rather than sprayed. if you use the spray type this might work, as the paint shouldnt be as thick. Still they send enough extras decals to allow you to experiment on a piece of scrap to see if the idea works in practice! :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,150 Posts
I would put the sticker on and just put a layer of clearcoat over them. That way they'll look like logo was painted beneath.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
epsilon93 said:
I would put the sticker on and just put a layer of clearcoat over them. That way they'll look like logo was painted beneath.
The add suggests this isn't necessary, but I can't see what harm it would do. It would have to be clear coat that can cope with the temperatures that can be generated through hard brake usage, without yellowing or going opaque.

if such a product exists, its something maybe new car purchasers could consider as an option before everything goes shabby?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,087 Posts
Clear heat resistant paint

http://www.permanentcoatings.com/eco-clear-thermastop-hi-heat-resistant.html

Product ID:53Category:Clear CoatingsProduct Description:ECO Clear ThermaStop is an interior/exterior extreme high heat resistant coating which may be applied over a variety of substrates including: Metal, steel, aluminium, wood, brick, mortar, concrete, plaster and drywall.
This material is designed to be used where resistance to extreme temperature up to 1300°F is desired. It may be applied as an O.E.M. or after market finish to refurbishment and/or as a repair coating It displays excellent resistance to moisture and offers superior corrosion resistance.
Excellent for use on pipelines, stove and other substrates that requires superior resistance to heat, corrosion and climatic conditions.Colours Available:Clear, it can be tinted to variety of coloursFinish:Gloss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,774 Posts
heat is one thing, but is it UV resistant also?

i have seen UV resistant coating yellow from heat and heat rersistant coating yellow from exposure to the sun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,087 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
heat is one thing, but is it UV resistant also?

i have seen UV resistant coating yellow from heat and heat rersistant coating yellow from exposure to the sun.
from above web site:
Resistances:ECO Clear ThermaStop Hi-Heat Resistant Coating displays excellent resistance to extreme temperatures, corrosion, changing temperature, climatic and environmental conditions, water penetration, friction and abrasion.
It will help to reduce metal fatigue and temperature transmission through the substrate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DavidMorgan said:
from above web site:
Resistances:ECO Clear ThermaStop Hi-Heat Resistant Coating displays excellent resistance to extreme temperatures, corrosion, changing temperature, climatic and environmental conditions, water penetration, friction and abrasion.
It will help to reduce metal fatigue and temperature transmission through the substrate.
Good grief that seems like paint on thermal armour! :eek: Perhaps if NASA produce a newer version of the space shuttle they could develop something like this. (yeh I know reentry is a little warmer than 1300 degrees!). Save all the hassle with tiles. Have you seen how much tilers cost! and can you imagine the call out fee 200 miles out in space! :nono;

Seriously all the best to the shuttle crew and safe journey home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the finished article

Well here goes. My weekends work is here for all to see. Finally went with silver because it's nearest to the stock colour and not too "in yer face"! Ive included, as all good makeovers should, some before and after shots.

Decals are restricted to the front calipers as the rears are too small to take the size I had. Also less is sometimes more. :)

Let me know what you think, but please, be gentle, I am easily upset! :cry:

http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/caliper_make_over
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top