SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Front or rear calipers?

On both ends, there are two bolts with the torx heads. Those are pretty big.

Once you've got them, what may happen is the pads eat into the rotor and won't come past the lips.

For fronts, use a big screwdriver to pry the pads away from the rotor. You want to push the piston back into the caliper, anyways.

For the rear, make sure the parking brake is off. If the rotor is too worn it's a problem as the parking brake mechanism advances the pads as they wear. It this case you've got to force the calipers off. Tapping with large hammer works.

Retracting the rears requires turning the piston whilst it gets pressed back. There are tools for that. Some people can manage with needle-nose pliers or twisting the piston with a large pliers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was the rear ones i got the caliper off but now i cant get the piston pushed back. i have aired it the but the piston will not move at all

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
you need a piston windback tool for the rears,they don't just push back in like the fronts..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry a little frustrated right forgetting too say all the information :cry: i have the right tool but it still will not push back

·
Super Moderator
20,204 Posts
open the bleeder to release pressure.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
i did i released alot of break fluid and air but the piston is still completley stuck
caliper is probably junk then anyway. plan on replacing that caliper with a new one

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah so i got a New caliber but i cant get the bolt to the old one off the brake kine that is i dont know if i am turning it the right way?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yeah so i got a New caliber but i cant get the bolt to the old one off the brake kine that is i dont know if i am turning it the right way?

It's a typical counter clockwise turn to loosen it but can require an awful lot of torque to remove it- channel your inner lumberjack strength after using a bit of penetrating oil and letting it sit for a while, and perhaps 'shock' it with a heavy hammer. A decade of rust and salt can make them pretty tough to get started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts