SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am in the process of swapping front rotors/pads.

I got the caliper off fine, and when I went to pull off the caliper carrier, I ran into some bolts that aren't standard, either in shape or size.

I hope the pictures are clear enough. They are some star-shaped ~16mm headed bolts, with one stripped horribly.

I feel like there is something painfully obvious I am missing...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yup. After 99 or 00 I believe they switched to torx bolts (also called star head bolts). On my 02 Aero they are actually 20mm not 16mm.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One is stripped to fudge, so I am likely screwed (har har).

One of my old pads was delaminated, so I am in a bind now. Don't want to slap on new pads onto that rotor...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah, those would be e-torx, or female torx. You need to run down to the hardware store and pick some up. If you're on a budget look for a Harbor Freight tool store. There is a brake pad DIY sticky in the FAQ. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've found that NAPA carries the E series sockets as most Pep Boys and the like generally don't have the 20mm in stock.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Looks like a trip to the store.

Go to Sears or another parts store and look for a stripped bolt remover. Ebay.com item # 330419908099 . Something like this should work. I've also seen the style that looks like a large spark plug socket and has little pins inside. When you put the socket over the damaged head the pins retract back and fits precisely to the head of the bolt and you can then remove it. If all else fails use vise grips.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Both those bolts look fine. Make sure you get a 1/2" E-20 socket, you'll need a long breaker bar to get those bolts out. They're in there tight (150 Nm +), and Loctited.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The loctite makes the bolts very hard to break loose. If you heat the bolt to 200 deg F, the loctite strength is reduced by 80%, and may make removal much easier. I have never tried this, but would like to know if it works, so let us know if you try this method and your results.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you mutilate the bolt too much using the other methods, just use a vice grip on the bolt and a second vice grip to tighten the first one. Tap the end of the first one while you tighten the second one with a hammer if it starts to slip off the bolt. I have yet to find a bolt that could not be removed this way. A torch with this process could help too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both those bolts look fine.
The 2nd one on that carrier isn't actually in that picture. Another etorx bolt for some part of the suspension is. The 2nd one is badly rounded...

I grabbed a propane blowtorch from work this afternoon, and sprayed everything with PBlast for the night (not that it will do much to Loctite...). Tomorrow, I am going to take an extraction kit and heat to it and try. Dealership will have new bolts ready for me tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the help all, will post final results here!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the carrier off on both sides, just have to run to the dealership and get new bolts.

One of the pads was quite uneven:

Will I have the same problem with new pads/rotors?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
That's a pad?

Make sure that the caliper sliders are CLEAN and lightly greased on reinstall.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Got the carrier off on both sides, just have to run to the dealership and get new bolts.

One of the pads was quite uneven:

Will I have the same problem with new pads/rotors?

If you leave them that long again, probably yes!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I check my brake pads with each tire rotation from summer to winter. Winter takes a huge toll on the pads! I suspect salt, grime, etc. When i put on the winter tires in the fall, I had over 4 mm left. After the winter, just over one.

Towards the end of their life, the pads must wear down much quicker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts