SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone please give me information on how to remove a sheared bleed screw,it has broken off flush with the caliper body and i am unable to get hold of any of the screw.
thanks for looking john mc

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Buy a stud extractor. Places like halfords and machine mart sell them in sets for less than a tenner.
Basically a reverse threaded thing that you screw in (backwards) and then use it to undo the stuck item.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Good luck - I tried to remove 2 sheared bleed screws and just ended up snapping 2 stud extractors. I ended up replacing the calipers:evil: Even with the old calipers on the bench and drilling out the screw centers in a vice they would not come out.

·
4,637 Posts
I took a snapped off extractor in a bolt in an aluminium head to an engineering shop. The chap there TIG-welded a blob onto the top of it, grabbed it with a vicegrip and undid it. It'll be different though for a bleed screw since it has a taper bearing against a seat to make it hard to turn.

If you haven't yet snapped off the extractor, you could use as big a drill as possible (don't damage threads though) and drill down deep enough to separate the tapered bit from the threaded bit. Then you extract the threaded bit and the remains of the tapered bit should fall out...

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the advice will give it a try

Tomarse said:
Buy a stud extractor. Places like halfords and machine mart sell them in sets for less than a tenner.
Basically a reverse threaded thing that you screw in (backwards) and then use it to undo the stuck item.
Thanks for taking the time to answer

trackside said:
Good luck - I tried to remove 2 sheared bleed screws and just ended up snapping 2 stud extractors. I ended up replacing the calipers:evil: Even with the old calipers on the bench and drilling out the screw centers in a vice they would not come out.
well what can you do ? you have got to give it a try.thanks.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Hey Matthew, what did you do to that last reply?. I'm there twice! ;)

You may find that you have a lot more luck getting your broken bleed nipple out if you take the calipers off the car and do it on a bench.
Youre going to have to bleed it anyway, so might as well take them off!

Stud extractors are all very good until you manage to snap one of them off! - then not only do you have a broken stud, but a broken stud with a hardened bit of metal stuck down the middle of it!

I've had more luck with stud extractors if you drill through the middle of the broken bit first.

It is probably worth you taking the calipers apart while they are off too. Not only does a good clean out make them work a lot better but you are probably going to get bits of swarf and dirt down the bleed screw hole when you remove it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts