SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may remember, I while back I posted that I hit a curb and did some solid damage. Well my car has been sitting ever since while I have been locating the replacement parts. All that I am really having trouble with is the rim I totaled. but the fact is I hate the look of the 15'' twenty spoke rims that the v6 came with... This seems like a perfect excuse to replace all the wheels. Trouble is cash is limited right no... So I was looking at the Cadillac Catera rims as they can be aquired quite cheaply and don't look too bad. They are 16" 5x110mm, so the bolts should fit, but does anyone know if the offset will be ok? Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
The offset is ET37 on the Omega/Catera [IIRC] I'm running 7.5" wide 17" with that offset, it is OK with 215 wide rubber but I had rubbing with 225's.

You have I think the same car as mine [age as well as engine] so assuming that those wheels are around 6.5" wide and you'll fit the correct size rubber 205/55 or 205/50 - 16" the should fit OK within the arches with no issues.

As for the affect of the offset, it will change the driving dynamic, the car wheels will sit further out in the chassis as you've in effect spaced them out 12mm each side, this has a noticeable change on turn in feel [not better or worse, just different] and if your allignment is out you'll get more 'tramlining' from ruts in the road.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Those are great looking wheels. They look like a combination of the old school Shelbys and the Viggen wheels.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure they will fit anymore. the width is 7" and the stock tire size is 225. Can I downsize and fit a 215 or smaller on this rim? Thanks I am new to tires fitting...

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
missgoodnight said:
I'm not sure they will fit anymore. the width is 7" and the stock tire size is 225. Can I downsize and fit a 215 or smaller on this rim? Thanks I am new to tires fitting...
7" rim can go down to 205 but no less [imho] shop around and go for a good value block of rubber that covers your needs, don't forget the Catera weighs about 300kgs more than your car so you don't need the same 'footprint' for the same grip, also I'm sure you can tell me more about snow driving than I'll ever know, but with a wide tyre you get a 'snowshoe' effect with very wide rubber [I've been there and done that, I got stuck on a hill with 225's on my 900 ;oops: the 9000 with its 205's next day went straight up that hill!]
My Cavalier has 7" rims, [albiet 15" diameter] with 205-50 , these sit real neat and tidy on the rim, the cars drives inordinately well for the type too. With 16" on the new900 205 50 and 55 series are acceptable, 55 series gives a tad more comfort [here in the UK the 55's are cheaper too, how does that compare with Alberta?]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ragtopcav said:
[here in the UK the 55's are cheaper too, how does that compare with Alberta?]
Pretty much the same here too. Lower profile definitely more expensive.
Thanks for the info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts