SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the 900's have a filter that removes dust, pollen etc. and should be replaced. Where is it?

Thanks! Chris

·
Banned
213 Posts
hmm, you have a pic of what it looks like jetman? i have a feeling that i don't have one; im thinking about the air box that is beneath the vent on the right hand side (if your sitting in the car), mine has nothing but the big air valve and the hvac raditator.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I'm not sure if changed over the years, but on my older models, behind a removable plastic plated there sits the filter. Perhaps it was moved inside and up under the dash on newer ones.

Edit: it sits inside a holey plastic holder and looks sort of like steel wool soaked in honey, if that makes sense!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
This memory is from the quite old days, but in '82, only non-AC cars had a cabin air filter.

Things may have changed in later years.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
jezz prob doesn't have a/c (euro car) so he prob has one. most north american saabs have a/c, prob 90% of c900's have a/c. 87+ a/c is standard on all models(american) so none will have a polen filter. my 84' had a polen filter, they disintegrate over time, mine looked like a bunch of horse hair in a small ball, so it could be hard to spot, just make sure you remove the old plastic frame otherwise you will go nuts trying to put a new one in. rather than forking out the money for a new one, i got some sponge and put canola oil on one side, you should have seen how dirty it got after just 20,000kms!!!!!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
The space occupied by the A/C evaporator is the same as used for the filtre. If the car has A/C, there is no filtre.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have A/C so no filter.

Thanks.

·
4,637 Posts
AIUI, the evaporator gets damp due to condensation 'cos it's cold and that this moisture acts as a filter, trapping the dust and pollen...

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
It was interesting today driving in the rain. I was driving a Volvo V40 with aircon (new car every day of the week, that's me ;) ) and the windscreen was steaming up. I had had the climate control set to auto at 20ºC, and when I switched to defrost setting, the aircon came on and it blew cold air over the windscreen, which cleared it in seconds. Normally in my non-aircon Saab I'd blow hot air on the windscreen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts