SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, your cabin fan has given up the ghost? Don't worry, there's a reason they called the 9-5 the 9-5, and not 9000... the job is simple!

1. Get a new cabin fan. If you're lucky like me, you know a guy who parts out cars and you can get a bench tested used unit for short money. Otherwise, prepare to spend about $300 USD at the dealership for a new unit.

2. Remove the wiper arms. The nut is 15mm and will come off with relative ease. Rock the wiper arms in the sweeping motion to free them from the spindle (WIS recommends using a special puller tool 85 80 144 :roll: ). Pull off the little rubber gaskets that are revealed once the arms are off and store them for reuse.

3. Remove the aquarium cover. (Sorry, my old 9000 terminology has come back to haunt me... Saab refered to the area behind the false bulkhead as the aquarium because of early 9000's tendencies to leak in that general vicinity.) Anyway, there are two plastic Phillips head screws... one on each side. These screws secure the cover to plastic grommets that plug into holes in the body. If the whole fastening system comes out, don't worry, it will go back together. Pull the rubber moulding off the top of the false bulkhead and push it out of the way. Do not remove the entire moulding from the car, the extreme ends are secured to the body with seemingly self-destructive clips :nono; . Working on the side of the car where your hood release cable is, pull the cable housing aside as you remove one side of the bulkhead cover. Once that side is liberated, the other side will follow suit.

4. Remove the shield. There is a shield below the aquarium cover that is held in by three clips, yank it out with care.

5. Remove the wiper assembly. The wiper assembly is a no-brainer. There are four 10mm bolts holding this in. Remove the bolts and the electrical connector; remove the assembly.

6. Remove the retainer frame. Look at the top of the heater box and you will see a black plastic frame that has a plastic clip on each side and two 10mm nuts on the front. Remove the nuts and clips. Gently pry the rear of the frame upward to disengage the two plastic pegs that go into the body. Once those are out, the frame will easily pull from the top of the heater box.

7. Remove the wiper assembly support bracket. This is the bracket directly above where you are working. There are two 10mm bolts on the front directly below the edge of the windscreen and a third one perpendicular to the bracket behind the scenes. The third one only needs to be slackened to remove the bracket, and this is not as easy as it sounds unless you have one of those GearWrench dealies :confused: . Remove the front two bolts, loosen the rear and take the bracket out.

8. Release the wiring and remove the cover. Ok, now the stage is set for the next bit of fun. You'll see a bundle of wires clipped onto the top of the heater box. Disengage the clips on either side by pushing the back part of the clip towards the cabin and lifiting the tab towards you. Look down towards the motor of the fan, and disengage the connector with two red wires coming out of it. Push that connector with its rubber grommet through the top cover. Release the rest of the wire harness from its resting place and pull the entire harness towards you. On the cover, you will see four screws. If you're fortunate, they won't be too badly rusted and you will be able to remove them with a Phillips head screwdriver. Otherwise, a 6mm socket can be used to take them out. The cover will lift off revealing the failed part.

9. Remove the deceased component. The fan lifts straight out of its groove and then encounters a snag if you try to pull it straight out. Pull the fan towards your ECU and finagle the thing out. Once the fan is out, you may throw it out or throw it across the lawn if the project proved too stressful. Clean any debris out of the empty fan housing.

10. Reassemble the darn thing. Well, everything goes back together the way it came out. Finagle the new fan into place and drop it into the groove. Plug in the wires for good measure and turn the car to the ON position to test the new unit. Assuming all went according to plan, you may proceed. Disconnect the fan. Replace the cover, feed the wires back through and reconnect the fan. Re-seat the grommet over the connector on the cover. Put the wires back where they belong. Reinstall the wiper bracket, support frame, wiper unit, shield, aquarium cover and moulding. Put the little rubber boots back over the spindles and refit the wiper arms in their approximate parking position (you can usually see where that is by the dirt on the windshield). Get the nuts nice and snug on the spindles. Start the car, crank the fan, wash the windshield to make sure it still wipes in the right place and there you have it!

:nono; It is worth mentioning that many in wooded areas have installed screens to keep debris from floating into the airbox and killing the fan. I will leave that step to the creativity of those who decide to do it. As for me, the 9-5 never gets parked under a tree so I think if the original lasted 170k, I'll be alright.:nono;

Good luck! :cool:

Carl
99 9-5 SE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just done a heater fan replacement in under 2 hours start to finish and just thought you might like a couple of tips

1 Dont forget to file the little lug off the new heater as the instructions state or it wont sit down into the locating grooves properly

2 We found that using 2 ratchet straps to pull the front firewall forward a small amount gives that extra bit of clearance to get the fan in and out.See attached picture

3 Removing the bracket betwwen the fan and ecu helps with space aswell

Attachments

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Top tips thanks! I remember the bulkhead being in the way too, thanks for the feedback :cool:

·
Registered
387 Posts
carllevine said:
...Rock the wiper arms in the sweeping motion to free them from the spindle (WIS recommends using a special puller tool 85 80 144 :roll: ). Pull off the little rubber gaskets that are revealed once the arms are off and store them for reuse.
Wow, your really lucky. Mine aren't coming off without a fight. No one had the tool needed around here so I had to order one online. :evil:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Perfect timing! :D

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
OK, first of all, this set of instructions was right on the money. Extraordinarily helpful -- Carllevine, I am in your debt.

I was able to simply clean the contacts and put a small spacer into the brush tunnel to keep my very short brushes in contact with the rotor. That should get me a few months at least until I can fix the cabin fan properly.

Speaking of fixing it properly, I found this comment by MI-Roger in another thread:

The most common failure mode for these cabin fans is the motor brushes eventually wear so short that the brush springs can't keep them in proper contact with the commutator.

I found the following on another Saab owner site;

Proper size brushes can be had from Mc Master-Carr. com Part #65705K38.

They are the right thickness (5/16") and wider than necessary. They can be filed or sanded to the right width (.355 inch) and length. Cost less than $20.

A new cabin fan motor costs $300. Replacement brushes from McMaster-Carr (large industrial supply house located in Chicago with a friendly web site) are only $20. You will need to clean the motor's commutator too, but a $280 savings makes this decision easy!
Has anyone used this part to repair a cabin fan?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this older thread, but it seems best.

My fix lasted 8-9 months, and so I got a new fan on eBay for US$185 and installed it yesterday.

One note: I followed TVR's tip above about holding the bulkhead with the tie downs. Unfortunately, I was clumsy enough to bump my tie back enough to make it come lose right when -- you guessed it -- I was putting the fan into place! (It DID break the brand-new fan.:evil: )

A word to the wise -- do it right! NOT like I did it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts