SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am a new Saab owner, just bought an ‘85 16v 900 turbo. The car runs great, but I figured I would give it a tune up. New rotor, cap, plug wires and plugs. So, the rotor I got from Rock auto didn’t fit (too small shaft hole) the distributor I am not sure about. So, with just new plugs and wires the car won’t start. When I removed the rotor, I realized that a small bolt at the end of the shaft was loose, and I could rotate the shaft by pulling on it and it would click into a position 180 degrees from where it was. I tried both of these positions and then tightened this little bolt but neither position will start the car. Any ideas on what I need to do? Thanks for the help, this forum seems great!

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
So you are using the old cap & rotor with new plugs and wire? Did you replace the wires one at a time, or pull them all and then reinstall? If the latter, are you sure you got the order and position right? '85 is a unique year for distributor - the wire placement is not the same as later cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you are using the old cap & rotor with new plugs and wire? Did you replace the wires one at a time, or pull them all and then reinstall? If the latter, are you sure you got the order and position right? '85 is a unique year for distributor - the wire placement is not the same as later cars.
Yes, I am trying to use the old cap with new wires and plug. I marked the cap with the wire order, but maybe I missed something. The wires looking at the cap from the front of the car top left are 1,2,4,3. Is that incorrect for an ‘85?

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Firing order is 1-3-4-2 ... so when you're standing in front of the car looking back, the wires need to be in that order going counterclockwise around the distributor. I think top left is #1, but to be certain I would align the flywheel with TDC, remove the distributor cap, and see where the rotor is pointing... that will be #1.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firing order is 1-3-4-2 ... so when you're standing in front of the car looking back, the wires need to be in that order going counterclockwise around the distributor. I think top left is #1, but to be certain I would align the flywheel with TDC, remove the distributor cap, and see where the rotor is pointing... that will be #1.
Is there an easy way to turn the engine in order to get it to TDC?

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
You can use a short socket on the crank pulley, use a screwdriver to push the flywheel by the teeth, or have a helper bump the starter while you watch the window.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts