SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 Base that has been a pita since I bought it. Got it running well enough to go for a test drive and noticed in the mirror that I was leaving a nice liquid trail behind on hard right turns (leaking on left side). I looked underneath hoping to be leaking coolant and I notice the left side of the gas tank has a nice coating of gas on it. I took out the trunk floor now hoping the leak was a fuel pump oring. I checked both that and the fuel sending unit. Fuel sender and the area around it are dry. Fuel pump was dry on the inside of the bellow but wet around it. I'm thinking a fuel return line since the tank isn't even half full. Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Could be that, could also a plastic line, the grommet or fitting for the return hose, or a damaged tank. Probably the only way to know for sure is drop it down at least a bit and take a look around.

You could, if you wanted, add some fuel dye to the tank and put some miles on it first. It may help you track down the source since gas tends to evaporate. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found the source of the leak a while back, turned out to be a rotted grommet that I couldn't see easily from the access panels. Thanks jvanabra, I looked a little harder after you mentioned it. Looks like there it some type of check valve off the line. Hoping some else might be able to track down their leak.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Those grommets are increasingly common problems... stuff is just getting old. I think that is a check valve, designed to prevent the tank from emptying in a rollover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts