SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Here is the story... For a few years now there has been a c900 convertible parked out behind an import dealer. I contacted them a while back to see if it is even for sale and they said they aren't advertising it, but it is available to make an offer. I never had the opportunity to go over and take a look at it, but now I have moved and I live even closer so I see it all the time. It is killing me to figure out what the car is and if I can afford it/ if I should buy it and save it. It's black and the paint appears very faded. It is an automatic with cloth interior. Below are some pictures of it (sorry, it was dark out) so if anyone has some insight on what year and etc. it is that would be greatly appreciated. Also, what you think it is worth would be good too.

Thanks in advance,
Shane

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Next time you see it, look through the windshield from the outside, on the left side, and write down the VIN stamped on a tag there.
The VIN will tell all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
C-900 identification

To know the exact year you will need the vin number but just looking at your pictures it has to be a 86-88 model year because the steering wheel. The car doesn't have ABS. The cost is going to depend on what is wrong with the car. Looking at it i would say under $1,000 dollars.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
If it's been sitting out there for a few years that might be a very big project to restore. Impossible to say, of course, without you seeing it and touching it. As far as year, it's definitely not a 90+

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I am going to go grab the VIN today and I will let you know what else I notice.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt this is worth it based on the damage I saw today, but here is the vin: Ys3at76lxj7011594

As you can see the rear windshield has separated from the top and water has poured in and filled up in the back :( I hate to see this just sit here and die, but can I even justify paying a dime for it?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Yeah, I figured it for a parts vehicle. I'd see what dismantlers will give you for it, offer them 1/2 and drag it away. Might not even be worth that hassle if you don't have access to a flatbed trailer or the like, or the desire to make a couple hundred dollars for the work.

the vin shows it to be an 88 btw

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea... That's a shame. Gonna talk to them and see if it runs, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
C-900

I hope you can save that car. I have bought them in worst condition for as little as $100 and fixed the issues which alot of times are minor and had a good car. People give up on these cars because they can't do the work themselves.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, here's the deal... I have no idea what I'm looking at when it comes to classic 900's. I drive an NG currently, but would love to add another toy to the fleet. I just don't know what this car is worth and if it's worth fixing up or if I shouldn't even bother. So to all you great saaber's that own or have owned a c900. Give me your thoughts, stories, and reasons why I should or should not jump into this!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
If there's standing water in the car, it might be a good sign... At least there's no big rust holes in the floor! But the job you'll have to make it right will be a big one. There will no doubt be other, maybe worse, problems than water damage and a separated back window. Unless you have a pile if Benjis burning a hole in your pocket, I'd pass on that one. There are much better examples to be had for around a grand...

·
Registered
194 Posts
The auto transmission will be your biggest risk if you can't crank the car to check it. If you want to spend the time and can get cheap used parts from a scrap yard it may be worth it. I bought a 90 900 turbo that had been sitting for over three years. I paid $100 for the car and spent about $200 and three weeks of work on the car to get it straight. I have been driving the car for three years now and it is one of my favorites to drive. Your car may not go similiar to my situation somtimes they are to far gone. You will have to talk with the shop and see if they can give you some history on the car to make a decision.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it looks like I will have to see what they want for it and find out what is all wrong with it. I will let you know what I hear from them this week.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I called the dealer today and they said that it was brought in about 5 years ago (it ran then) and it hasn't been started since. It has just gotten pushed on to the back burner so many times that it now just sits and they are open to offers for the vehicle AS IS.

Should I make an offer, if so how much? Any chance this car still starts with a fresh battery? And what is the wheel bolt pattern?

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
Offer them $100 to clear some space from their car park. It might start with new battery if your lucky but if its been sitting for 5 years the petrol will have spoiled long ago. The Vin says its an '88 so it should be the 4x108 wheel pattern.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Offer whatever scrap is, because if they ever do anything with it, that's where it's going.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright, I stopped by after work today and had the car and hood opened up. Below are some pictures. It clearly needs a lot of work, but I figure maybe I'll offer $100 and see what they have to say. The battery is obviously shot and there are probably other mechanical issues.

Interior:

Trunk (surprisingly good shape):

Engine:

Is this some sort of air sensor that is missing???

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Figures...

I need some opinions. Worth it? Not worth it?

I have never owned or done anything with a c900, but I would love to learn and am pretty mechanically inclined (I do all the work on my ng900).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts