SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone working on converting a classic 900 to an electric vehicle just out of interest?

A classic re-use of a classic vehicle if there is.

The C900's engine/box design appears to lend itself to fairly easy replacement of the engine with a suitably matched largish electric motor. There would have to be (if not now, but eventually) 'off the shelf DIY EV conversion' kits with all the necessary electronics.

Biggest issue I can think of would be battery pack, as the design of the C900 isn't going to make installing a battery pack to make it safe for public road use easy, nor is there going to be enough room for a battery pack with large enough charge storage capacity or charge density.

That means quite a change in the weight distribution.

All completely do-able though, IMHO.

Craig.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Should be able to be done. I've not seen a 900 converted. But I have seen a wide range of other vintage cars done. Including a Volvo 544, 80s Toyota truck and a 70s Civic wagon!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Saw a Sonett with batt swap at SOC Loveland '19. Think it was reported to runs 10s in the quarter.

Was more interesting seeing a Sonett V4 take 4 wheel air off a bump hooning around. I will not forget this image.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same idea. I have a 900 CC of 1993 in good condition without engine, and I'm thinking about electric conversion for 4 years now. So now seems to be the perfect moment. But, ... there is always a BUT! The main problem is to connect a big and strong e-motor to the transmission. There are already at least 2 approaches here in Germany on the street. One wanted to keep the engine small and in the end it is a bit weak. And the other has a belt between engine and transmission. But this belt appears to be quite noisy.

Pictures of the "belt solution with strong motor":

And of the small motor:

So it is possible and has already been done, but do you have an idea how to connect a strong motor to the existing 5 gear transmission?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One point often raised in electric vehicle discussions when the EV gridgirls and fanboys (generaly the cult of Electric Jesus disciples who are wedded to Tesla) poo-poo the idea of converting an existing non-EV to electric is how do you manage the massive torque of an electric motor at zero rpm to not break stuff in the driveline. I think its a legit concern and the usual way they poo-poo it is by making out that replacing the petrol (or diesel) motor and simply bolting a motor to the existing gearbox isn't going to work.

Fortunately for us C900 owners, our cars are actually perfectly made to deal wtih this because the gearbox and motor are bolted together vertically not horizontally, so providing mounting hardware using existing engine mounts is created, the physical fitup isn't difficult.

What motors and control systems are people using and how well does it integrate into the rest of the car's elec systems?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
That is a patently ridiculous position to take. Mountains of cars have been converted to electric over the years, everything from VW Beetles to Chevy S10s. In most conversions I've seen, the approach is throw the transmission in 3rd and leave it there forever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts