SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - searched the forums - didn't find anything...

Does anyone have a source, other than dealer (which I haven't asked yet) for new C900 convertible rubber weatherstripping?

I've got a piece that has popped in half, and I'd suspect the matching piece on the other door is close to doing the same.

This piece (link to image, 327k jpg), which runs inside the "triangle" where the side-view mirror is located, and further down the leading edge of the door. I'd want new replacements for both sides...

Any leads?

Thank you.

·
4,637 Posts
I'd be amazed if there was an aftermarket supplier for any of the C900 'vert's window seals. They're so specific to the car and hood that your best option is either a breaker or a Saab dealer. If you find a breaker with such seals, grab the lot. The roof front and side seals unbolt/unscrew and there may be some adhesive on the front corners, the door seals should come off with these push-the-pin-through-the-centre rivets and maybe some screws. Grab the window edge seals too since they're unique to the 'vert.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CoastCard said:
Try www.automobiletrim.com who seem to have a good selection of rubber. I too am looking for various bits of rubber trim for a C900 vert, so will update if I find any more suppliers.
I checked them out - seems you need to know exactly the style etc that you're looking for, then make your own out of what they offer. And the one specific piece I need is molded just so - definitely not "off the rack." But I've bookmarked them, as they would probably be a good source for straight window channel seals etc - thank you.

-d

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cdaly said:
I'd be amazed if there was an aftermarket supplier for any of the C900 'vert's window seals. They're so specific to the car and hood that your best option is either a breaker or a Saab dealer. If you find a breaker with such seals, grab the lot. The roof front and side seals unbolt/unscrew and there may be some adhesive on the front corners, the door seals should come off with these push-the-pin-through-the-centre rivets and maybe some screws. Grab the window edge seals too since they're unique to the 'vert.
Re: being specific: exactly... And a breaker - do you really want used rubber? I guess it's better than if yours is missing or rotted away. But mine popped in half from the friction of the window winding up and rubbing against it. So I dropped $65 at the dealer today for a replacement, not knowing if a used piece would be on the verge of doing the same. Guess I should lube the one on the other side to reduce the frictional pull, well as the new when I get it on. Thought about replacing both, but at $65- each, eh - let's wait 'til the other one goes.

Regarding the rivet attachments... I also got new metal pop-rivets (from the dealer - 12 for $40 - ow!) for the rubber "curtain" that goes along the lower edge on the inside of each door. I had previously procured excellent condition rubber "curtains" from someone parting out their C900 'vert. Now I have all the bits and can make the replacement. BUT - I had no idea these were the real metal pop-rivets - thought they would be like the plastic ones holding various other bits on. Two questions:
1) What's an easy way to get the old ones out, without marring my car door?
2) Do I need a rivet gun to install the new ones? I know how they work, in theory - put the shorter side in the hole and the gun pulls the center piece out and flattens the thinger on the backside, making it stay in place... Could the same be accomplished using, say, vice-grips and a lot of yanking? Or will I hose it all up...?

Thanks again!

-daniel

·
Registered
37 Posts
Daniel, I posted a similar thread and according to Matthew they drill out, similar to any other rivet. I wouldn't be tempted by the 'vice grip' option to re-install. You need a good deal of pressure in the right direction. I can visualise half installed rivets and a lot of scratched paint!! Assuming they are standard size, rivet guns are relatively cheap and/or can be borrowed/hired fairly easily.

As a matter of interest, have you tried removing the plastic rivets that finish the door seal at the top (of the main panel) front and rear of the door. They hold a plastic finishing plate on. How do you get them out?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CG,

Drill out - that makes total sense. I think I was on the wrong track because the guy I got the rubber "curtains" from said he ended up using a hacksaw to remove the rivets in order to remove the rubber. He said it was a huge hassle as the same rivets also held on his SPG kit. I wondered how he did this - didn't seem feasible to me, especially as the rubber arrived with no signs of having had a hacksaw rubbing up against them (and if you've seen them, they lie right against the rubber, so you know what I mean...). Then I further wondered why he was spending hours hacking thru rivets to sell me $10- worth of rubber when he had an SPG kit to sell as well (though the former begat the latter, so why not).

The only experience I have had with the plastic rivets was in replacing a door-mounted exterior mirror. For that project I actually took notes and make a little tutorial (and discovered that those plastic rivets are not re-usable - you gotta push the center pin thru and then make do on the back-end). But if you're talking about the plastic "rivets" that have no center pin - those are more like "caps" that can be removed and re-used with an upholstery tool - the kind with the V-shaped pry on a screwdriver-type handle. As long as you're patient in the removal.

Oh - the mirror removal & re-install is here:

http://www.cheeky.vg/saab/mirror/

And - Thank you for the advice!

-Daniel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts