SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a problem with top on my recently bought Saab 900. Electric mechanism works OK. But when I try to put roof down, mechanism does not go all way down (you can see it on the picture).

What could be the problem?

Thank you for your answer,
Matej

·
Registered
279 Posts
There is a piston on each side (behind the rear side interior panels and pointing upwards). Either the pistons are unable to make the full travel or the roof mechanism itself is being blocked by something. There could be air in the system as supremedalek says, but I would think you would have problems at each end of the piston travel. You should check hydraulic fluid level anyway, but I would also check the roof at different points of opening/closing to check for obstructions.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Hi Matej!

Beautiful car, it looks like mine ;)

Is that a US import? The sticker on the windshield looks like some northeastern US state, I forget which, maybe NY but not the paper one...

There are some adjustments that can be made to the top, maybe yours is out of adjustment there.

Go to "Saabmaster site" at www.townsendimports.com and look under C900 convertible for what I am talking about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@All: Thank you for your answer! I will check things tommorow. I hope I find the problem.

Yes, the car is US import... :) 94' 900 turbo convertible :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
What is the proper fluid?

What is the proper fluid for the convertible top pump and system? eEuroparts wants $35 for a bottle of "Hydraulic Fluid? Will AT fluid or Power Steering Fluid or CHF11s work?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If your car has had a new roof recently it may have been badly fitted. Too many layers of material and webbing can cause binding around the folding hinge points and produce this problem. It should go much lower.

I use hydraulic jack oil in my roof system with no problems. Easily available and much cheaper.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
What is the proper fluid for the convertible top pump and system? eEuroparts wants $35 for a bottle of "Hydraulic Fluid? Will AT fluid or Power Steering Fluid or CHF11s work?
Saab roof hydraulic oil is aviation spec which is why it's so expensive, as peva says, some people use hydraulic jack oil with no issues but don't use either of the oils you mentioned, they are not suitable.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If the roof is not retracting it will be either an obstruction, mal-adjustment of the mechanism or, as has been mentioned, the roof is new and too tight.

It is unlikely to be a fluid issue, if the fluid runs low or has air in the system it just runs slower until it stops altogether..

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If the roof is not retracting it will be either an obstruction, mal-adjustment of the mechanism or, as has been mentioned, the roof is new and too tight.

It is unlikely to be a fluid issue, if the fluid runs low or has air in the system it just runs slower until it stops altogether..
I agree philjohn, it's very unlikely to be a fluid issue, nor adjustment neither. Opening the valve in the boot and try pushing the hood down would confirm this. There's no adjustment that would cause this. My money's on a badly fitted hood. I had it once to a lesser extent on one side only. Too many layers of material. I assume you've checked the obvious, and there's not too much stuff in the boot/trunk.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Have you checked the eye bolt that connects the hydraulic piston to the top frame? There is one on each piston, and they are fairly easily replaceable if broken. Sometimes the top of the eye breaks; when this happens the piston pushes the roof up, but doesn't pull it down well, it may have something jammed that is topping the piston from rotating to the full closed position.

Anything large in the well behind the seat (as opposed to being in the boot/trunk) can stop full retraction also.

Nice looking car!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts