SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hurray - my pads and discs are worn out on my 1990 T16 (I blame the 400 mile round trip to see the capitan - the perfect excuse to buy some better ones than the standard saab parts :D . Any suggestions for high performance pads and discs.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
thesaabologist said:
Hurray - my pads and discs are worn out on my 1990 T16 (I blame the 400 mile round trip to see the capitan - the perfect excuse to buy some better ones than the standard saab parts :D . Any suggestions for high performance pads and discs.
Perfect timing! I was thinking "Must get round to ordering disks & pads"...

I know it's not _quite_ as simple as just price, but there's a rather huge gulf (£60ish for standard pads and disks vs £150 upwards) between std and performance... Are they actually worth that extra for road use?

I can think of _plenty_ of other areas to sink a ton into on the car...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I have Brembo rotors and have used both metallic and ceramic pads on them for a few years and there is plenty of metal there.
I guess I don't brake much!!:cheesy::eek:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
The pads I have now are EBC Redstuff - they are a higher heat range pad, so they really clamp down when they get hot, when normal pads start to fade - the result is great breaking power at massive highway speeds - they are capable of locking up the brakes (well before the ABS kicks in) at pretty much any speed a moderately sane person would travel at. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone, but I'm not sure how available they are in the UK.

Also, swapping pads on 88+ c900 brakes is a breeze :D

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I bought yellowstuff front pads for my '91 T16 from ebcbrakesdirect.com. About 50 pounds. Trying to find time to fit them this week, but it aint easy. Will report as soon as they are fitted.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
philb said:
I bought yellowstuff front pads for my '91 T16 from ebcbrakesdirect.com. About 50 pounds. Trying to find time to fit them this week, but it aint easy. Will report as soon as they are fitted.
I think the yellowstuff pads are supposed to be for "race and highway use only" - they are a really high heat range that might underperform in low speed, everyday driving, and I think they have some sort of abrasive in them that constantly freshens up the surface of the rotor.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
They recently changed the "recipe" to allow good bite from cold. We'll see.. just back from demonstrating full boost to a co-worker, with no brakes :nono;

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
philb said:
TheRedBaron said:
The pads I have now are EBC Redstuff
Mmm. I'm only being offered greenstuff on any of their buy online links. No red or yellowstuff listed at all.

Tempting, though, at around £40 delivered.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
thesaabologist said:
One option is to uprate to 9000 calipers -is this a big job?
not sure, as im not familiar with 9000's. but i would think you would need some kind of adapter bracket.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I dont think installing the 9000 calipers are a hard job as long as you can source them from the correct year. (not sure on specs). I recall reading the lines are not interchangeable most people user braided steel?

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Saabologist, your 1990 has the early 9000 brakes, which IMO are plenty unless you're building a track beast and need to really worry about fade, as long as you have decent pads. I believe the later 9000 calipers fit on the 900, not postive, but I say if I can lock up my brakes at 100 mph during a spirited run, then that's all the braking force I need :D

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
philb said:
They recently changed the "recipe" to allow good bite from cold. We'll see.. just back from demonstrating full boost to a co-worker, with no brakes :nono;
Yeah let us know!

2manycitroens, I've heard good things about the greenstuff pads as well from a few people. Mine came with a sticker that said "EBC Ceramic Pads For when you're as quick as you think you are" though it was pretty funny :lol:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Mmm. I'm only being offered greenstuff on any of their buy online links. No red or yellowstuff listed at all.

Tempting, though, at around £40 delivered.
Yeah I noticed that the only ones offered for c900's anywhere are greenstuff (available for early and late c900's for front brakes, and I think for late c900's for rear brakes) and their regular compound (available for all makes/models of Saab as far as I know including c900's of both brake variants).

I was originally going to try greenstuff but now I'm looking to yellowstuff instead as I don't think I'd really make a lot of good use of the redstuff properties to justify going that way. Though the 81 turbo could benefit from them in stead of yellowstuff pads. Assuming EBC are making them for early handbrake-front c900's.

Craig.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
c900 said:
. Assuming EBC are making them for early handbrake-front c900's.

Craig.
they are :D i got some over the summer... sadly i had to send them back to fund my crank pulley mishap though

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
twomanycv's -
I searched for ebc brakes uk in google and went through all the sites that came up.
I found this site to be really useful, their catalogue seems fairly well put together.

http://www.performancebrakes.co.uk/

Their catalogue seems fairly well put together,

For 88+ cars, the front pads:
Greenstuff = DP2779
Redstuff = DP3779c
Yellowstuff = DP4779
Bluestuff=DP5779

Rear pads:
Greenstuff = DP2635
Redstuff = DP3635c
Yellowstuff = DP4635

79-87 cars:
Front:
Greenstuff = DP2291
Redstuff = DP3291c
Yellowstuff = DP4291
Bluestuff=DP5291

Rear:
Unfortunately have not found ebc rear pads for the front handbrake cars yet.

Not all sites are aware of all applications for each pad, but you will usually be able to enter one of those part numbers.
I used ebcbrakesdirect.com to order the pads because they are cheaper to ship to Ireland.

The yellowstuff pads came with "bmw 3 series e30/z1" printed on the box, but they are the right pad. I think if your c900 has 9000 calipers, that the pads are the same as some other bmw - they cross a lot.

I'd recommend going for something better than greenstuff, if you ever drive the car "enthusiastically".

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
philb said:
For 88+ cars, the front pads:
Greenstuff = DP2779
Redstuff = DP3779c
Yellowstuff = DP4779
Bluestuff=DP5779
Yeh, I'd twigged that as the way the part numbers worked - but the fact nobody seemed to list anything other than Greenstuff made me wonder if they just plain didn't put the two together as a stock item - I s'pose they'd be special order?

The yellowstuff pads came with "bmw 3 series e30/z1" printed on the box
EBC have their fitment catalogue on their own site - www.ebcbrakes.com - and bloody comprehensive it is too - 716 pages! Yep, the E30 uses the same front pads as rear handbrake c900s! Well, well, well...

I'd recommend going for something better than greenstuff, if you ever drive the car "enthusiastically".
Ta. I use the car daily - 10/12 mile each way commute down back lanes, plus a mix of normal urban and long motorway. The last thing I want to do is sacrifice cold performance for a bit of academic "top end" which I'm unlikely to use most of the time.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I was recommended by a distributor of ebc brakes in Ireland, that the greenstuff do not offer much improvement over the standard pads for a car the weight of the c900. The new yellowstuff pads ( according to ebc, and a few user reviews I've read ) do not have any problems with cold performance.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
philb said:
I was recommended by a distributor of ebc brakes in Ireland, that the greenstuff do not offer much improvement over the standard pads for a car the weight of the c900. The new yellowstuff pads ( according to ebc, and a few user reviews I've read ) do not have any problems with cold performance.
Gotcha.

So what about the ceramic redstuff? In order of ultimate stopping performance, it goes std-green-red-yellow-blue-wall, right?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts