SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any c900 drivers out there have a hitch mounted bikerack? I am looking for one to fit my vert. The only hitches I can find are factory hitches that are not the removeable (reese?) style hitch, they are just a trailer hitch...

·
Registered
491 Posts
I got one thats a bolt on. It replaces that little tow ring thing in the center of the bumper (dont worry, gives you loops built in). It bolts up behind the bumper, wraps around, bolt flat up against the bottom of the car, and at the end angles down (or up depending on how u look at it) and bolts to the sloping metal right before axle.
-Alex
Would you like pictures?...ps hope you dont have air flow bumpers :roll:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
I've just been fitting a towbar on mine this very morning...

As with t'other reply, the bar's a fixed rather than detachable (searching here on "towbar" found a load of threads mentioning detachables, though). I've got a Thule bike rack which fits either two-bolt or swan-neck (I've got mounts for both) - it drops into two clamps held behind the ball, and clamps onto the ball. The clamps hold it steady side-to-side, whilst the ball takes the weight.

There's a whole _load_ of towbar mount bike racks on the market - massively preferable, IMHO, to bootlid-mount clip-on ones, as well as providing the electrics for a lightboard.

I can't just shove the bike in the boot, because it's a VeloSolex, so needs to be kept upright, else it's going to pour two-smoke fuel all over the boot carpet...

Fitting the bar was straightforward - it was a used one from 16Saabs (Cheers, Alwyne), and needed the insert bar with the captive nuts making up - easy enough, a straight bit of thick steel about 30x140, with two holes and a pair of big M8 spire clips. Unbolt the towing eye, trim the big rubber bumper mount a bit (Any excuse for an angle grinder... HOW much smoke...?), trim a notch in the bottom edge of the bumper (stanley knife was fine) then bolt it all up. Not sorted the wiring yet, but it should be straightforward enough.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any pictures would be excellent. I do not have airflow bumbers and notching my existing bumpers is not an option :nono;.

Its also a vert so the trunk style racks are out.

nnamssorxela can you post pics? Did you notch the bumper as well. Also is your unit available aftermarket, was it a factory option, or is it custom?

Thanks!

·
Registered
491 Posts
i'm confused, the actual hitch receptacle thingy bolts to car and a 2x2 in square hole is seen right below bumper. Then you take a hitch style rack and slide it in. Is this what you want? I can get pictures tomorrow...
-Alex

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
nnamssorxela said:
i'm confused, the actual hitch receptacle thingy bolts to car and a 2x2 in square hole is seen right below bumper. Then you take a hitch style rack and slide it in. Is this what you want?
<groan>
Of course...

Another thing that varies widely from country to country...

In the UK, our typical tow bar finishes in a flat plate which the ball bolts to.

Europe, the "swan neck" style is more common.

You guys stateside have this as the normal type, right?

Then the Aussies use another different style, with a flat plate which the ball just bolts vertically through...

Any others worldwide...?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nnamssorxela,
Thats exactly what I'm after!
Do you know who the manufactures is, and where I can get one???

Thank you,
Jeff

·
Registered
491 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
You guys stateside have this as the normal type, right?

Then the Aussies use another different style, with a flat plate which the ball just bolts vertically through...

Any others worldwide...?
If you look carefully, these are pretty much the same, the little silver square on the bottom one is the same as the square on the top on, and it you want a trailer ball you just ues one of these: http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/accessories/images/towing_equipment_trailer_ball_1.jpg
and slide it in the square. Unlike the swan ant the one before it, you can remove the ball and attach a different hitch mounting device like a rack. The one I am mentioning doesnt go parallel to the bumper like the 1st one above, but perpendicular. It also hase a 2,500 pound weight capacity. I will check manufacturer later and let you know. I might be able to sell you mine too!
-ALex

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
nnamssorxela said:
If you look carefully, these are pretty much the same
Yeh, that particular aussie-style one is - I couldn't easily find a decent pic for what I seem to remember seeing over there, which is just the flat plate, permanently mounted to the bar fixed to the car, with the ball bolted through it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts