SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know this has been covered before but My c.e.l. has come on again. I dont think it is anything to serious, but could anyone tell me if it is possible to put a vacuum guage on my vac lines to detect leaks. I understand that vacuum leaks are difficult to find but would make it easier with a guage on vacuum lines. Does anyone know what reading I should get from my vacuum lines. I assume initial vacuum is coming from inlet manifold would this be right ?

Alun

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
The gauge won't help you much for vacuum leaks. You'll see lower vacuum than 'usual' but you won't know what is causing it.

Generally you look for a leak with a smoke generator (you'll see the leak sucking up smoke) or you can use a propane torch (not lit!!) the engine will speed up when you put the propane near the leak or something like WD40 that you can spray on the lines... again, usually the engine speed will change when you spray the leaky area.

Most basic way is visual inspection to find cracked/broken/loose/disconnected hoses.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Alun,
Do you still have the original 'rubber' vacuum hoses in place?
The reason I ask is because this may be the ideal opportunity to swap the lot out for 'silcone' hose. Easy job, do one at a time, take around an hour or so to do. If the problem is still around afterwards then at least you know it's not the hoses.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cel light

Hi both,

I still have kept the original hoses but I have replaced the hoses with rubber which to be honest I think is not tight enough. I lifted off the plastic cover with 2.3 turbo on it, and found another hose pulled off the one that goes to the throttle body.

Also the one from the bosch valve (dump valve i think) was off on the other end. I'm not ot sure I have got the hoses right now on the charge air (boost) bypass valve.

can someone enlighten me as to where the hoses on there go. there is three on the bypass valve fitted on the bulkhead. one goes to the bosch plastic valve thingy on front of engine bay, the other one goes to a t-piece, and the other goes to intake manifold, with another on the intake manifold going to a diaphragm thing which I think is to do with the fuel rail

Anyone have an exploded diagram of this, not much info in my haines manual as to where the vacuum plumbing all goes to.

Cheers Alun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts