SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried swapping the front seats from a 1990 3 door 900 turbo today ( leather ) into a 1990 3 door 16v n/a ( cloth ) , and they are completely different :eek: :cry: the turbo runners have just 2 bolts at the front and clips at the back and the 16v n/a seats are held in by 4 bolts :roll: the only way I can see round it is to remove the seat covers and the foam onto the original frames , what a nightmare , can't see why Saab would go to the bother of 2 different setups , has anyone else come across this problem

·
Registered
563 Posts
The ones with the clips are the older style, not sure what year they changed. Perhaps it was '90 that the change was made and the donor car was an early '90 and got the old style.

I put leather seats from a '92 in my '83. I just had to make a couple brackets for the rear mounts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh , I imagine doing it that way round would not be such a bad job , I'm commited now though , got all the trim and foam off both sets of seats :roll:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
NSE said:
The ones with the clips are the older style, not sure what year they changed. Perhaps it was '90 that the change was made and the donor car was an early '90 and got the old style.
Mine's a '90 built car, too, and has those. Wonder if Swedish production changed earlier than Finnish (Mine's Valmet)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TooMany2cvs said:
Mine's a '90 built car, too, and has those. Wonder if Swedish production changed earlier than Finnish (Mine's Valmet)
Hang on , are you saying some were built in Sweden and others in Finland , if so this is all news to me :lol: how can you tell and what does Valmet mean :confused:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
VIN decoder

example VIN -

YS3 A B 3 5 J X G 3 000001

YS3 = Saab - Scania Sweden

A = 900

B or D or C in next space B = base model D = turbo model C = S model ... my '92 has an L here

2 or 3 or 4 or 7 in next space 2 = 2 SN 3 = 3CK 4 = 4SN 7 = 2 dr. 'vert

5 or 6 in next space 5 = 5 speed manual 6 = 3 sp auto

J or D or L in next space J = 8v N/A D = 16v N/A L = Turbo with IC

next space will have either a 'check digit' or X ... i have a 5 in this spot

Year comes after that, G = 1986 ... but my '92 has a N in this spot

next spot contains information pertaining to the production facility
2 = Trollhattan, Sweden
3 = Arlov, Sweden
7 = Nystad, Finland

and after that, you will find your Serial Number

most of the information i have pertains to the 1986 model year, notations were made where i found different information when cross referencing my 1992

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
seat fixings changed in all 900's in 1989 90 area from the clip in rear 2 front bolts to all four bolt down, i'm not quite sure, but i think it might have been something to do with the seat height arrangement that is different to the earlier models, as the later(89-90 on) one is done from the side, where the earlier one's had the swivel lever under front of seat, which gave you 2 seat height positions, where as the later ones give you a variable one. and yes it's a bummmer when you go to change them and you suddenly find your fittings are different.:cry:
I think the majority of us on here have got the T shirt etc on that one:cheesy:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What was I saying :roll: I'm beaten ;oops: the back part of the seat frames are different so the foam bolsters won't sit right :( so the only option I can see now is go to the local car trimmers and see if they can make the leather covers fit the old seats , I've got to check the rear seat fit's ok though , does anyone know if they are all the same ?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Speaking of back seats...

Why, whenever I tip the rear seat back for'ard, does it come disattached at the RH hinge? There just doesn't appear to be anything to hold it in. The LH is fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's a metal clip that goes round the seat peg and holds in in place , I bet your right one is missing , have a close look where the seat is hinged , if you are missing one I've got a spare I could send you

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
trooperman said:
..... can't see why Saab would go to the bother of 2 different setups , has anyone else come across this problem
ive always been underthe impression that after GM took over, realising that there was a serious "cash tightening" excercise to be done, they thought "why have 900 and 9000 seats "look" the same, only be built differently?" (double the cost)..... so they made the 9000 seats fit in the 900

same with the brakes i think

G

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
I have'nt been in a 9000, seat that felt like a 900, not pre93 anyway,
wheels were changed to match i think in 86-87 change over as that's when the hole centre's increased by 10mm?,
anyway the gm 900:( is a cavalier floorpan anyway

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
On a related note, the seat bases seperate fairly easily from the seats themselves, so I was wondering if there are any aftermarket seats available to suit the early-year (pre-facelift) 900's to replace the original seats? I've got a few here (currently up on the Evil Bay) which are a bit tired and maybe if the seats don't sell I'll work out ways to 'upgrade' them.

GOod leather seats are going to be very hard to find for the early-year 900's, so I might opt for some sort of 'sports' style seating. The other option is just replace the velour covers (since they're removable) or keep them and get brand new seat covers such as the two-tone ones from State of Nine.

The old seats are still very comfy and about the only common fault is the spring base that fails but they're easy to replace with the kits a lot of people sell through Evil Bay and direct.

Hmmmm.

Craig.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
drg23 said:
ive always been underthe impression that after GM took over, realising that there was a serious "cash tightening" excercise to be done, they thought "why have 900 and 9000 seats "look" the same, only be built differently?" (double the cost)..... so they made the 9000 seats fit in the 900

same with the brakes i think

G
Not really. The 900 got the 9000 brakes for 1988 model year. The seats were the same on the power seatbelt 900's as early as 1987 model year. GM deal was Jan 1 1990.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts