SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 2003 OG 9-3 convertible exhibits the no start issue every now and then. Sometimes it strands me at a time when it's really inconvenient. I've been meaning to rip out the NSS but until I can I wanted to ask if there's a tutorial for manually starting the engine when the key turn refuses to work.

In another thread, jvanabra mentioned one can touch a battery terminal and a starter solenoid to start the engine, a means of bypassing the no start issue to avoid getting stranded at the time. Can anyone please link me a tutorial or explain how to do this?

I also read a few threads talking about jamming wires into certain fuses to create a permanent bypass but that looks a lot more involved than the simple method mentioned.

I'm new to Saab's as well as working on cars in general so I'm doing my best to learn as quickly as I can.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
There are three main ways to accomplish this:

1. Bypass the range sensor by looping the "in" and "out" of the switch to each other so the starter relay is always enabled
2. Bypass the range sensor by jumpering powering from some other source to the starter relay so the relay is always enabled
3. Bypass the range sensor and starter relay by wiring power directly from the battery to the starter solenoid, with a switch or button in the middle to manually engage the starter

Varying levels of difficulty, varying levels of pros & cons. I've done all three over the years. TBH, I don't find any one better than another.

·
Registered
17,411 Posts
John: The starter is on the left side of the engine (as you sit in the driver's seat). It's on the back side of the engine and fits into the transmission bellhousing from the engine side. It's hard to see from the top because the intake manifold is in the way. If you follow the large positive lead off the battery it will lead you to it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I had the occasional problem with starting that I assumed was in the ignition switch.
I solved the problem by attaching an exciter wire to the solenoid and tying it off near the battery. Just having the solution on hand was enough to stop the problem from re occurring.
It's the same principle as carrying as spare and all the tools, you won't need them if you've got them.

I work on the starter by holding my son by the ankles and lowering him down the back of the engine.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There are three main ways to accomplish this:

1. Bypass the range sensor by looping the "in" and "out" of the switch to each other so the starter relay is always enabled
2. Bypass the range sensor by jumpering powering from some other source to the starter relay so the relay is always enabled
3. Bypass the range sensor and starter relay by wiring power directly from the battery to the starter solenoid, with a switch or button in the middle to manually engage the starter

Varying levels of difficulty, varying levels of pros & cons. I've done all three over the years. TBH, I don't find any one better than another.
Ah yes, fond memories of a Holden Torana I had, a fairly small car around 2000lbs with a 300ish HP engine and an auto without a NSS.
Starting the car with a nearly dead battery then goosing the throttle when it started and painting 2 black lines on the road and nearly rear ending something expensive.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
Thanks for your post. Could you please tell me where I could find the starter solenoid?
You have to be very careful jumpering anything back there. The main battery cable runs there, and shorting it out to ground is pretty much equivalent to shorting out the battery terminals.

If you have to ask where the starter solenoid is, I would not recommend playing around down there.

Does the NSS cause issues trying to start the car in both Park and Neutral?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
One should never work on the electrical system without first disconnecting the battery. That's Wire Smoke 101 - Keeping the Smoke Inside the Wires.

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
This is the method my 9-5 had done to it to bypass the NSS when I bought it. It wasn't done with paperclips, but with an actual wire, though, so it was a permanent fix.

It's extremely simple since it's all done at the electrical plug on the NSS, and only takes a few minutes to do.
(edit) The 9-3 and 9-5 use the same neutral safety switch, so this 9-5 fix also applies to the 9-3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts