SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I know there are various posts about this issue, but I would like to ask you guys if I'm sniffing around the good place to start...
I recently bought a '04 93ss 1.8t. On the way back home from the mechanic, the CEL suddenly lit up. I immediately turned back, and had the mechanic resolve the problem, which seems to be the bypass control valve. I can't remember the exact error code, and yes, I know that would mean a lot right now, but I don't have diagnostics, nor am I a mechanic, but I love to check the reasons of problems I come across.
So, turbo mechanics took the car on a ride, and they said, since she was kept out of use for a long time, all she needed was a proper run, and everything's fine, the light did not come back. Well, the light actually came back on my way home - again.
I checked the hoses and clamps, and I think they're all good. However, I found that one of the attachments is broken, and a quick seal was applied, God knows when... I'm attaching pictures.
If you could give me some advice, or instruction, i would really be grateful.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
That is not the bypass valve, this is the waste-gate solenoid (boost pressure solenoid)
If u have code for the bypass, better u get the code, and fingers crossed its the valve went bad not the ECU cause its common for the ecu to go bad triggering bypass codes, injectors codes, internal faults .. etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, mechanic's back from the long holiday. It's a P0033, and I have read many different posts here about the issue. I have a new boost pressure solenoid, I think it's time to change the bypass valve solenoid. Before that, I would like to ask you guys is it worth a look into the valve itself, because many here mentioned that the diaphragm was broken inside, causing the problem. Is that part the valve on the pictures, so I have to make some room to access it first? I really do hope that I don't have to remove the waste wastegate actuator...

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
This fault means either bypass is not actually happening when commanded Or its happening all the time without being commanded.
Common reasons:
Bypass valve itself (diaphragm)
Bypass solenoid (near the throttle body)
Bypass system hoses (one of the three hoses is broken or blocked)
Manifold pressure sensor or boost pressure sensor malfunctioning (less common).

-check the hoses are intact and not blocked.
-Open the bypass valve to check the diaphragm)
-check scan data for normal MAP and boost pressure sensor readings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the new forge BPV. I installed is, however, the factory vacuum line does not reach the nipple of the new BPV, because it's located on the side - on the factory one, it's in the middle. So, I wonder where that vacuum line connects on the other end, because I don't want to tear down the engine compartment any more than it is necessary, I simply can't see from above, where that vacuum line connects, and it feels it continues in a metal tube... I saw in a video, that the other end is at the control valve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Hus_sho, but I got the right one 🙂 it's written in the description, that this one is for the Garrett. Any opinions on the hose?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, first test is good... found that the hose from the valve goes to the bpv control solenoid. Revved between 3-4000rpm, no code so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts