SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
So some of you may remember my returning my 9-3 SS Aero and shopping around for car. At the time I was thinking strongly about a G35x or a TL. Somebody mentioned I might have a problem transitioning a japanese car (different design language and all) and whoever it was, you were right.

I drove the TL. Lots of gadgets. Lots of horsepower. Lots of torque steer. I managed to put the car into squealing understeer just entering a highway onramp at the same speeds I would drive in the Aero, prompting the salesman to ask whether I autocrossed a lot. I found the interior nicely appointed but way too busy with the overhead mood lighting and general blinkiness. It's the absolute opposite of night mode. The gadget freak in me wanted it just for the bluetooth. Hated sitting in it and staring at the light show.

The G35x was another story. Gobs of torque, no torque steer. I have no idea who actually likes the interiors of these things. The 2005 update helped a bit, but it still feels cheap. The intelligent key system rocks though. No split folding rear seats (none on the TL either) was a disappointment. The displays while highly readable were also highly ugly. Chrome rims are a factory option. Ick. It seemed like the sensible choice but I hated sitting in it.

edit: Nav system comparison:
TL: Slickest of the slick. Everyone else needs to catch up bigtime. Giant nag screen with mandatory delay that also takes up the screen you use for your radio controls so you HAVE to wait so and so many seconds and click it EVERY time you drive off, big no no.

G35: 3d view is overrated. No touch screen and not being able to enter addresses and whatnot while moving, bad.

Volvo: Annoy limitations with zooming, no voice, no touch screen, but having the controls mounted on the steering wheel: genius move. You can enter addresses while driving, and click the nag screen away even before the screen's finished moving into position. If the safety freaks can do this, why do all the other manufacturers make using thee nav system so annoying in the name of safety?

So what did I end up getting? A semi-used 2004 S60R. Just couldn't get away from the whole swedish design thing. (Please excuse the horrid cameraphone picture.)

Mod edit: no selling in the forums.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Great choice, and I could not agree more with your valuation. I test drove an auto R while waiting on my wifes XC70's service... man was I happy with it in comparison to my Arc.

I hate to have you post it.. and I dont blame you if you want to send me a PM but how much were you looking for on the rims? Any damage to them at all?

O, and I am sorry.. but you could elaborate more on your after-nav setup.. I would like to have nav in my car terribly but I really havent found a good looking solution. Did you mount yours beneath the cd player and take out the ashe tray.

sorry for all of the questions... if you post what you can hopefully those pm's wont be too redundant.

Did I mention how jealous I was of your R.. and your chasis!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
300hp, swedish, Volvo, nice, nice, nice...and how's the driving?

·
Registered
145 Posts
PatrickLee said:
So some of you may remember my returning my 9-3 SS Aero and shopping around for car. At the time I was thinking strongly about a G35x or a TL. Somebody mentioned I might have a problem transitioning a japanese car (different design language and all) and whoever it was, you were right.

I drove the TL. Lots of gadgets. Lots of horsepower. Lots of torque steer. I managed to put the car into squealing understeer just entering a highway onramp at the same speeds I would drive in the Aero, prompting the salesman to ask whether I autocrossed a lot. I found the interior nicely appointed but way too busy with the overhead mood lighting and general blinkiness. It's the absolute opposite of night mode. The gadget freak in me wanted it just for the bluetooth. Hated sitting in it and staring at the light show.

The G35x was another story. Gobs of torque, no torque steer. I have no idea who actually likes the interiors of these things. The 2005 update helped a bit, but it still feels cheap. The intelligent key system rocks though. No split folding rear seats (none on the TL either) was a disappointment. The displays while highly readable were also highly ugly. Chrome rims are a factory option. Ick. It seemed like the sensible choice but I hated sitting in it.

edit: Nav system comparison:
TL: Slickest of the slick. Everyone else needs to catch up bigtime. Giant nag screen with mandatory delay that also takes up the screen you use for your radio controls so you HAVE to wait so and so many seconds and click it EVERY time you drive off, big no no.

G35: 3d view is overrated. No touch screen and not being able to enter addresses and whatnot while moving, bad.

Volvo: Annoy limitations with zooming, no voice, no touch screen, but having the controls mounted on the steering wheel: genius move. You can enter addresses while driving, and click the nag screen away even before the screen's finished moving into position. If the safety freaks can do this, why do all the other manufacturers make using thee nav system so annoying in the name of safety?

So what did I end up getting? A semi-used 2004 S60R. Just couldn't get away from the whole swedish design thing. (Please excuse the horrid cameraphone picture.)

Mod edit: no selling in the forums.
S60 R is a nice car. I am doing the OSD program with Volvo on my MY 06' S60 R. Waiting for final pricing on the model to make it official. However I hate to tell you this but a lot of people have problems with MY 04's... first year of the that car. The problems range from slight to big ones, usually with the suspension.

Also the turning radius is the worst of any car... a H2 is better. Heck, the 93's turning radius is nearly 6.5 feet less.

Good luck... and have fun, they are nice cars.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sorry about the 'for sale' bit. I haven't been back here for a bit and forgot about the rules. I moved it to the classifieds section as suggested.

I knew about the faults of the 2004 S60R before I bought into it. Yes the Geartronic is torque limited (Lucky you with the 06 won't have that problem) Yes the 4C suspension is a mixed blessing, but I just had the suspension module and bushing fix and I haven't been having problems with it. The biggest problem is actually the 18 inch wheels. Put them together with roads in the NE and I've already sidewall damaged two P-Zeros (thank goodness for road hazard insurance). I have absolutely NO IDEA how people drive around with 19's or 20's on their cars with roads this bad. Oh.. and the turning radius. Looks like a fish, moves like a fish, steers like a cow. It's easier to park a Hummer H2. :( I don't think they're fixing this for '06, it's just part of the design. I guess they don't have tight parking lots in that particular part of Sweden.

Interior fit and finish is so much better than on my Saab though. There's leather everywhere there should be leather. The radio panel doesn't have odd gaps around it, and the doors don't creak. I really truly don't know what was up with the doors on my 9-3, because nothing would stop them from creaking. I eventually gave up and turned up the radio.

·
Registered
145 Posts
PatrickLee said:
Sorry about the 'for sale' bit. I haven't been back here for a bit and forgot about the rules. I moved it to the classifieds section as suggested.

I knew about the faults of the 2004 S60R before I bought into it. Yes the Geartronic is torque limited (Lucky you with the 06 won't have that problem) Yes the 4C suspension is a mixed blessing, but I just had the suspension module and bushing fix and I haven't been having problems with it. The biggest problem is actually the 18 inch wheels. Put them together with roads in the NE and I've already sidewall damaged two P-Zeros (thank goodness for road hazard insurance). I have absolutely NO IDEA how people drive around with 19's or 20's on their cars with roads this bad. Oh.. and the turning radius. Looks like a fish, moves like a fish, steers like a cow. It's easier to park a Hummer H2. :( I don't think they're fixing this for '06, it's just part of the design. I guess they don't have tight parking lots in that particular part of Sweden.

Interior fit and finish is so much better than on my Saab though. There's leather everywhere there should be leather. The radio panel doesn't have odd gaps around it, and the doors don't creak. I really truly don't know what was up with the doors on my 9-3, because nothing would stop them from creaking. I eventually gave up and turned up the radio.
On the MY06 that I am ordering (getting a 6 speed man) the only difference is: 2 additional colors, 6 speed auto trans that corrects the loss of torque and now the Hadlex AWD system starts off pre-charged.

The turning radius has not been corrected as its a design flaw. The AWD combined with larger rims to fit the 13" Brembo brakes is the reason behind this... or at least that is what I was told.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Nice choice..S60R..

When I saw that car at the dealership, While I was back in the States..
I loved it..It looked Cool..
Nice car ..enjoy...Patrick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts