SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP!!! Tie rod ends in poor shape. Can I drive?

'97 9000 CS, does this look right?

and then this (with little to no pressure):

Guess an order will be placed with eeuroparts.com soon. Think its safe to drive on until the parts arrive?

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is my car

This is my new 1997 9000CS. It has 110,000 miles. Let me clarify the above. The tierod end boots are definately torn. But when i grab the tie rod i can twist it like the pictures show. I can do this while it is on the jack and on the ground on both sides. However when i pull and push on them they seem tight. And when i grab the sides of the wheels and try to shake them side to side they feel tight. Is it normal for those to twist like that? They didn't do that on my 86 900 which has similiar tie rid ends. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This need immediate attention. It definetely needs a replacing.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Just to be provocative, I disagree that it needs immediate attention!

The boot has gone yes, but as long as the joint is tight (the twisting is fine) then there's no immediate problem. With the boot torn then yes crap will ingress and lead to premature failure but this doesn't even fail a UK MOT with just a torn boot. At least the main dealer didn't fail one on our Volvo but it was noted and I did change it shortly afterwards but it's not going to present any immediate danger.

On the other hand, if the joint is worn such that the wheel doesn't maintain track then that's different.

Cheap and quick to change either way and likewise, ball joints aren't difficult to check (or change anyway).

David.

·
Registered
42 Posts
the ball joints look fine no torn boots.

How do I test them? HAve to get spring compressor?

I and as for tie rod ends I drove on them 70 miles today, tomorrow parts arrive in mail...hopefully they deliver saturdays.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
TD testing the ball joints is pretty easy, couple of ways, one is better than the other:-

1. jack the car up and hold the wheel top and bottom and try to rock the wheel. If the ball joints (usually lower) is severly worn, you'll feel movement in the wheel.

2. Better method is to just put a long bar on something and try to lever up the lower suspension control arm (with the car jacked up helps). If there's no movement in the arm and the whole suspension moves up and down then it's fine, if the joint is worn, you'll find that you can get slight up/down movement of the track control arm before the rest of the suspension.

Track rod end isn't a major issue with just a torn boot, it's when it's worn that you have greater issues but even then the most likely thing that's going to happen is that you'll accelerate tyre wear as the tracking will be off.

David.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My tie rod ends have arrived in the mail. I ordered TRW's but they sent something called MOOG?? Anybody know anything about that? Any tips on installation? OH yea and one of the becking nuts is gold and the other is silver!What the!?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
No idea on what you're talking about with the TRW/MOOG but as far as tips, have you got a ball joint splitter? Much easier if you have.

Release the locknut but don't go winding it off, just enough to allow you to then unscrew the track rod end. Always worth counting the turns, then put the new one on and count the turns - should be the same.

The only issue that sometimes pops up is that when you try to do the locknut up on the spigot, the spigot rotates, just try a sharp tap with a hammer on the top of the joint to get the taper to engage.

You'll also want to have the tracking set properly afterwards.

David.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
djtaylor said:
No idea on what you're talking about with the TRW/MOOG but as far as tips, have you got a ball joint splitter? Much easier if you have.
I think he purchased two new tie rod ends, they were suppose to be TRW, but the supplier shipped a brand called MOOG.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts