SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here, I have been having a small annoyance and I've gotten to the point where I think it needs to be addressed. I drive a 1998 900 SE and it seems to be running pretty well. I have noticed a couple of small sounds though and I'm afraid that may lead to issues down the line.

1. When I start it and release the clutch to let it warm up in neutral it makes a sort of grinding sound at random points (its not right when I let off the clutch, its just when its starting to warm up). But this doesn't happen too often, it just may be more serious than the next thing.

2. I've noticed when I give the car varying amounts of gas I hear a sort of buzzing sound. It almost sounds like an electic sort of buzz like what you hear from high voltage wires. To me, it seems like its coming from the right side of the car around the glove box area. But it goes away sometimes based on if I'm giving the car more or less gas (though there doesn't seem to be a pattern because I've heard it when I've given it no gas or a lot).

Please help me out and let me know what might be the causes of these because I don't want it to lead to something really bad.

Thanks!
Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's interesting you would mention that because a while back when I had the car at the dealership he had mentioned that someone put the front pads on "backwards" (I didn't think it was even possible to do that). Anyways, I didn't have them do anything with it because they were going to charge the living daylights for it. I took it to Big-O the next day and they said all the brake pads looked fine. So is there something special about saab pads that big-o wouldn't notice?

·
Registered
9 Posts
im hardly the DIY'er, but coincidentally, made a similar post "buzzing sound", thinking it was something electrical, but turns out was just the wear indicator on the brake pads. (Don't know if there's anyting special about the pads)

Good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As for the noise: could it be the ACC cabin air temperature sensor fan? These tend to get noisy (at least in 9-3), it helps if you take it out and turn it upside-down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MarsMan said:
As for the noise: could it be the ACC cabin air temperature sensor fan? These tend to get noisy (at least in 9-3), it helps if you take it out and turn it upside-down.
May be a stupid question, but how does one get to that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was experiencing more or less the same symptoms: a "buzzing" sound coming from the right side of the dash/engine bay, mostly when accelerating.
Last night, I diagnosed a faulty idler pulley. I'm pretty darn sure that's the culprit.

I'm replacing it tonight. I'll post with results.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a buzz coming from the right side as well. It only happens between 2000 and 3000 rpms. Still haven't figured it out. It sounds like it's near the bottom of the front door...

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I have the same problem. whenever i turn on the car it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the engine.

I thought it was the idle pulley...:confused:

·
Registered
189 Posts
TROLLhattenschatten said:
I have the same problem. whenever i turn on the car it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the engine.

I thought it was the idle pulley...:confused:
It's definately not the Idler Pully because I just replaced mine, and it still buzzes...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm bummer... I'm going to check that fan thats behind the weird little bullseye thing, it looks pretty dirty from what I can see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thecanyon2k4 said:
It's definately not the Idler Pully because I just replaced mine, and it still buzzes...
Same here. The idler pulley that I replaced tonight was definitely giving up the ghost, but the sound remains.

·
Registered
51 Posts
yes I do have the same situation on my 5 speed 9-3 but only when it's from 2000rpms up to about 2800rpms and only when the shift up light is on. I have reved my engine in neutral and the sound does not occure then. I suspect it's some kind of electrical problem. Another very likely possibility is that there is engine whine comming through the speakers due to a faulty ground issue in the wiring. I'll try to disconnect the speakers or pull a fuse to see if it's the case. I would like to see a solution to this my self as it's a little annoyance that I would like to see solved for every one here.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I too have this buzz, never really looked into what it is its just there, comes on with light throttle then goes off with closed throttle

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
No, it's absolutly not a electrical issue.

almost like it's timed...does it on startup when the engine is cold and stops when it gets to normal operating temp.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
If the engine mounts were badly worn, vibrations could be transmitted.

Elevate the engine at the mount area and the noise should disappear...
Other wise, just play the radio louder..:cheesy:

Very exacting details are necessary to diagnosis noises over the Internet, its hard enough when the mechanic can be fortunate enough to hear the sound....directly...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts