SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was active here, years ago, when I had an '87 9000 and later a '95 9000 Aero. Both really fun cars. Sadly, both very rust prone, so now gone. Apparently that's happened to all the 9000s because the 9000 workshop is also completely gone!

Anyway, I have been missing the Saab feeling, so I was going to look at a 2005 9-5 Aero tomorrow. Anything in particular to see in terms of trouble spots?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Rear doglegs. Rust under the rear floor i.e. lie on your back and look up. There is probably rust in the rear arches but you can't see it without removing the plastic liners. Exhaust manifold studs can shear although you'd only know that by putting the engine under stress and hearing the leak. Check every single air con function works and there are no faults (engine running, press AUTO and OFF simultaneously. Check takes 30 seconds and should end up showing '0' on the left). Headlight auto-levelling (if they're xenon). A conscientious owner will have replaced the 4 vacuum tubes with silicone, as the original rubber will be powdery by now.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,287 Posts
I was active here, years ago, when I had an '87 9000 and later a '95 9000 Aero. Both really fun cars. Sadly, both very rust prone, so now gone. Apparently that's happened to all the 9000s because the 9000 workshop is also completely gone!

Anyway, I have been missing the Saab feeling, so I was going to look at a 2005 9-5 Aero tomorrow. Anything in particular to see in terms of trouble spots?
Rear wheel(s) tilted in.... replace shocks if stock or if the rebound is good, spring spacers are a cheap long term investment to keep those tires from premature inside wear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts