SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just graduated college and this will be my first car, therefore I am being very cautious about the investment. There has always been at least one Saab in my parents' driveway, and I am not considering another car for my first. Luckily for me, I found one at a local dealer which I really like and seems to be a great deal... I'm very close to buying a 2004 9-3 Aero sedan, auto transmission with 35k; it had one owner and the carfax report is clean. Options include the cold weather package, sunroof, and premium audio. The listing price is $18,995. There are 11 months left on the original warranty, and I don't plan on getting it CPO, as I can't afford the extra $2k. I have the following concerns:

I requested to see the service reports for the car from the dealer I'm buying it from (and who did all of the work on the car), and I went over the service record with the dealer. I'm a little nervous about the amount of work (13 visits to the dealer over 3 years) that have been done. Some of that work sounded like it was at the normal maintenance intervals, and none of the work sounded too serious. 5 of the visits were related to some sort of emissions issue, which the dealer said was some problem that saab diagnosed and issued a fix for.. but I wasn't able to find anything about this online.

Any comments on the number of visits to the shop for this car, compared with your experiences? Again, I don't think these were serious issues, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of little things popping up every few months.

I'm also concerned about the prevalence of electronics in the car, and their susceptibility to failure. (On the other hand, my mom had numerous problems with the mechanical heating/cooling knobs breaking off in her '99 9-3.) I can see that one of the door locks on the car had work done to it. Should I be worried about the abundance of electronics in this car?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, and I look forward to joining the family :D

Alan

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
No car is error-proof. Issues will crop up with any car you purchase. I would not consider the electronics to be a key issue. If there were electrical issues due to manufacturing faults, they would be found early in the cars life, in my
opinion.

If all the mechanics check out, which I am sure they do, then I don't see a problem with it. If you know someone who works on these cars, then I would recommend having them check it out to make sure it all checks out.

Also, if the previous owner took care of the car and all the service records indicate this to be the case, then I would not hesitate in purchasing it.

Hope this helps!!!

Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts