SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have read all the buying guides. Thumbs up or thumbs down guys.

I am looking at a 1995 900 convertible which looks to be in very good condition. Key points

- non turbo
- clutch feels good
- 2 owner- same one since 3k mi.
- 100k mi
- starts smooth from cold
- drives great, tight front end, good power, no sputtering
- ac, cruise, etc, all work

bad
- small leak in the rear window of the convertible, will be fixed, but what damage can be done from this. Looks like water is pooling in the space where the top gets stowed
- no receipts- owner lost in house flood, but claims oil changed every 5000mi. Also, I have spoken with the local mechanic who has worked on the car for last 40+k miles and he says it is a great vehicle, good shape etc. Will probably continue using him for service.

$4000

thoughts?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
The early model verts cannot have the glass reattached to the top. Make sure that you (and the seller) are aware of this. The only wasy to fix this is with a new top.

If the local mechanic can fix the rear window and guarantee it for a few years, go with it. But I doubt that he will... Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edward,

I am on the west coast, VA is too far. Thanks though.

Re glass. I will have to see where exactly the leak is coming from. is seemed to me that it was on the right upper corner on the vertical side, not the top, but still could be hard to get re-attached.

What does a new top cost? I imagine it is too much to ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, looking online it looks like you can get the parts (assuming I am finding all of them) for about $1000, but you still have to put it on the car. Glass comes laminated to the top. I am not sure how hard that would be. Obviously has to be done right or it will be no better than the one that leaks.

By the way what does TSB mean?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question regarding the '95 glass seal. Apparently this is where it is leaking. The lady who owns the car is going to have it silicone sealed, obviously someone has done this, what is the result, how long does a good job last. How hard is it to install a new top correctly? Looks like they are about $600 online. Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
That is incredibly low mileage for a car that old; tell us what is really wrong with it. :evil::cheesy:

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

Eh sometimes people just dont have to drive that far to get to work, it doesnt mean there has to be something wrong with it.

Or since its a convertible it could have been a second car for nice days.

Although I wouldnt pay 4k for a non turbo from 1995.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The woman I got the car from it was her 2nd car and for me it is my 3rd car that is why I am selling it. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with it. I have driven it to Florida and got 31 mpg. I just had alot of mileage service work done as well. I make sure that everything with this is taken care of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.