SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a refurbished d630 sell with serial port and 4 g of ram. From the little bit I've learned this seems to be what I need to go alongside the tech 2. It only comes with Windows 7. I've seen a lot of people say that Windows XP is the best system to have. I have the Saab WIS and I haven't even been able to look at it. So I'm looking forward to being able to see it as soon as the computer comes in. Am I right in thinking that without the laptop the Tech 2 can't gain security access to the car. Mainly I wanted to know if any of you guys can direct me where I should buy my Tech 2 clone because I've read that some of them don't come with everything like security clearance and some do and if you know what you're buying and makes a big difference. The other question I have is what do I need to do to set this laptop up to get the t i s 2000 on it. And have it ready to work with the Tech 2. I'm sure there's plenty I don't know I just don't want to waste money on something I don't need or is incorrect. This is the first time since I've owned my 2001 9-3 SE convertible that I haven't been able to work out a problem without use of a tech 2 but it was bound to happen. I'm through a transmission swap and having problems with the new transmission reading the speed sensors. It'll be nice to have the system but that's why I'm putting it together to help me solve this problem I've hit a brick wall. There's a thread on it I'll put a link to it. Thank you very much any advice links to equipment links to downloads would be much appreciated I know that most of what I need is located right here and in the Tech 2 Workshop it's just a matter of tracking it all down. I'm going to put the exact specifications on the Dell laptop as well to make sure it's correct. Ron

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wanted to know if any of you guys can direct me where I should buy my Tech 2 clone

Where to buy? Seems the prices on ebay have gone up, so I'd suggest aliexpress.com. Someone had recommended a website that specializes in obd recently, if you can find the post.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently ordered a Tech2 kit from worldODB2.com and it arrived quickly and I have no complaints.
This came out of a recent thread that has a title ancient laptops in the tech 2 work shop. If this is the one you were thinking of Hoff.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I recently ordered a Tech2 kit from worldODB2.com and it arrived quickly and I have no complaints.
This came out of a recent thread that has a title ancient laptops in the tech 2 work shop. If this is the one you were thinking of Hoff.
That's it. Thanks!;ol;

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
For virtually all jobs on your 2001 9-3 you wont require security access.
It been a while but the only job I did(I think) that required security was replacing a T7 ECU.
Your TCM replacement will be plug and play followed by adaptation

·
Registered
167 Posts
Took a quick look at prices, figure this stuff all comes from China anyway.

obd website = $239 + $59 shipping = $298

aliexpress - $225.72 + 39.71 shipping =$265.43

·
Registered
95 Posts
Took a quick look at prices, figure this stuff all comes from China anyway.

obd website = $239 + $59 shipping = $298

aliexpress - $225.72 + 39.71 shipping =$265.43
My only comment is that the OBD website uses express shipping. It took about 3 days to reach my doorstep from across the world. Not sure what method aliexpress uses, but if it's express shipping and the same product then it's a better deal for sure.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My only comment is that the OBD website uses express shipping. It took about 3 days to reach my doorstep from across the world. Not sure what method aliexpress uses, but if it's express shipping and the same product then it's a better deal for sure.
Good point. I've ordered quite a few things from ali over the years. The fastest I've had something show up was 10 days.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Aliexpress would still get my vote as funds arent released to the seller until you have tested and accepted the goods.
What protection do you have for DOA with the other vendor?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Credit card chargeback. Works on every vendor and website in the world.

Thats fine and I have had to use it in the past but it can take up to 12mths with all the hassle that goes with it.
For example if you claim the product is faulty then you follow a dispute process and probably have to return the item at your cost to China.
Same issue with paypal...they require you to return the product.
If I had to do that from the UK it would probably cost 50% of the price of a Tech2.

In the meantime you are without a Tech2 and probably having to buy another.
At least Aliexpress hold the funds and you have some power to get the seller to sort your problem....quickly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thats fine and I have had to use it in the past but it can take up to 12mths with all the hassle that goes with it.
For example if you claim the product is faulty then you follow a dispute process and probably have to return the item at your cost to China.

At least Aliexpress hold the funds and you have some power to get the seller to sort your problem.
My experience has been different with chargebacks. I immediately get the money back in my account when I initiate the dispute (this is considered a "conditional credit" by my bank). The bank does their thing and finishes the process on their end, completely seamless to me. I get a notification when they have completed their review but I already had the money back instantly. I have had to do a handful of chargebacks over the years and have never had any problems. I have never had to pay for return shipping of a defective product.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's some good information about the chargebacks and how it works. I'll tell you what I hate to have to pay shipping on something that comes to me broken especially back to China. So hearing all this I think I'm going to elect to go with the Ali site. Not only is a cheaper but I like the fact that they don't release the money until you say you've gotten a good product I think that's great. This way if there is a problem it's solved right then and there. And I'm sure everybody's experience is going to be different when it comes to chargebacks and stuff like that depending on the company you're dealing with the credit card company but that's the exact information that I was looking for before making my purchase. So thanks a lot for chiming in I really appreciate it fellas.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jago Jago if you don't mind me asking what bank do you use they sound really good I use Webster in Connecticut and I'll tell you what they have not been anywhere near that accommodating in the past I actually just started another account at Liberty Bank which is a newer Bank in Connecticut because of how dirty Webster has been. So whatever Bank you're using sounds really great I'm wondering if they have it in my area.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered from aliexpress.com .it was 284 plus tax like 306 I believe out the door . I chose to order from one of the sellers that had the best reviews and the most sales. The name of the woman is Vivian Pan. She shows pictures of her PC board and says she uses quality stuff. Her five star reviews seem to bear that out. So I chose to go through her I'm just waiting for my arrival. Thanks again fellows for all your help. it did make a huge difference.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Jago Jago if you don't mind me asking what bank do you use they sound really good I use Webster in Connecticut and I'll tell you what they have not been anywhere near that accommodating in the past I actually just started another account at Liberty Bank which is a newer Bank in Connecticut because of how dirty Webster has been. So whatever Bank you're using sounds really great I'm wondering if they have it in my area.
Citibank

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks I was asking that because I've had bad luck with banks .thats definitely a glowing review for Citibank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts