SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a spare engine from Pull-A-Part. The price sounds cheap enough. my question is how do you pull an engine in their yard? Do I disconnect everything, and they pick the motor up with a lift, or what?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Generally, you do all the work. At the one near me, they have dollies with engine lifts. Once out of the car, you wheel the thing back to the office.

More than likely the price for the engine is for a short block -- engine only. All accessories -- AC compressor, power steering pump, alternator, etc. -- will be extra.

Depending on the reason why the car is in the yard, it could be a good deal. If you are going to rebuild the engine anyway, you probably can't go wrong.

As for needing a spare engine for your current car, that's what preventive maintenance is for. I could see needing a spare tranny well before needing a spare engine.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The ones around here have lifts you use as well. But they charge $5 rental. lol

I put a used engine in my old Volvo while I rebuilt my 300k engine. It only needed to last a few months. It still ran strong when I pulled it back out.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The price is for the entire engine. It says so in the price list. If you only want a short block, they have other prices for that.

If their yard is like ours, have fun pulling it across the gravel from the import section LOL.

Put a wrench on the crank bolt and make sure it spins freely. Ideally a battery hooked up and a remote switch to the starter to spin it and check compression. If the car wasn't wrecked, it's there for a reason. Check for splits in coolant hoses, check the condition of the air filter, the plugs. These can all be helpful in determining if it was taken car of or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts