SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This won't be my first saab, I've owned 2 99' 9-3 hatch's and as much as I love the platform, it's time to upgrade, because I have been experiencing too many mechanical issues.

Knowing my 200k+ mile 9-3 was basically on the edge of failure, I knew it was time to search for a car. I found an 06' 9-5 SportCombi (I do like wagons) with only 116k miles, dang!
Runs and drives just fine, If I can get it for a decent price I think I might as well give the 9-5 platform a try

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Check the suspension, especially the back. The back can sag and/or develop excessive camber issues. Look for the car sitting quite low over the rear wheel, and for any funny wear on the inside of the tires. Unless there's a whole history of service to the suspension, I'd expect the car would need replacement of bushings and maybe shocks/struts.

I'd check the headlights for effectiveness, some of these Dame Ednas seem to have really poor lighting at night.

The interiors of the later 9-5s can be pretty flimsy, but if you're happy with the car, that's not an issue.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Check the suspension, especially the back. The back can sag and/or develop excessive camber issues. Look for the car sitting quite low over the rear wheel, and for any funny wear on the inside of the tires.
You can bring a tape measure and check ride height. Hook the tab on the end of the tape measure under the lip at bottom-dead-center of the wheel and measure up to the metal of the fender. Factory spec for that measurement is 610 for an aero/sport suspension, and 620 for standard suspension.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In addition to the saggy rear the others mentioned, the wagon’s rear wiper fluid jet can get gummed up and prevent fluid from spraying. Left alone, the back glass can get scratched from dry wiping.

Otherwise it’s just the typical 9-5 items!

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
35 Posts
In addition to the saggy rear the others mentioned, the wagon’s rear wiper fluid jet can get gummed up and prevent fluid from spraying. Left alone, the back glass can get scratched from dry wiping.

Otherwise it’s just the typical 9-5 items!
How is this most easily repaired? Just replacing the lines or using a degreaser?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would also like to know, the left most jet and rear jet are very weak in spray on my '03 wagon and I can't seem to figure out how to remedy it. I tried using a dental pick and poking around but no luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
How is this most easily repaired? Just replacing the lines or using a degreaser?
I replaced the short piece of line that included the nozzle and it totally solved my problem.

Pull down the trim panel over the rear window and it will reveal the hose that is connected to the rear nozzle. It simply pushes through. Part is 12755563 for ‘06-‘07 and is less than $15.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
2006 9-5 SportCombi owner here. Purchased with 84,000 miles, now sitting around 143,000. The community is divided on the 2006-2009 body style. Some like them, some hate them. I personally like them. Mine has been good to me overall. I did have the rear-end sag, which I remedied with new shocks + spacers (let me know if you want more info on that). The car has never left me stranded. The coolant bypass valve failed but luckily it was in my garage when it happened. I take good care of the car, and it has been quite reliable in my 50K-60K miles of ownership. I personally prefer the gauge cluster and steering wheel of the 06+ cars, but the door pull handles are cheap feeling...no way around it. Some hate the GM head unit and a/c controls, but I like the GM parts because they are less prone to failure and issues than the old style ones. The xenon headlights aren't the greatest, but they're still better than halogen. Any specific questions, just ask. I think it's a good car.

·
Registered
532 Posts
So is it usually just the 'jets' (or nozzle) or whatever that just get clogged? I can't think of anything else that would weaken the spray (0 spray would obviously be something else)

The rear sagging is typical on all 9-5 wagon's correct? Lots of info on here (including a recent thread) on what to do about it

The '06-'09's seem to be a better-lasting 9-5, but my god, is that extra chrome on the headlights ugly

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
I would also like to know, the left most jet and rear jet are very weak in spray on my '03 wagon and I can't seem to figure out how to remedy it. I tried using a dental pick and poking around but no luck
On an '03, there's a good chance that the water passage through the motor shaft on the rear wiper is rusted shut, or nearly so. I had to get a long drill bit from Home Depot and drill it out. After that, it worked great.

·
Registered
235 Posts
for MY up to 06/ old version with jet inside motor axis:
max length to insert should be smaller than 142mm. diameter 2,5mm is sufficient. If you drill to deep, you will destroy or pop off the plastic piece attached inside, which will then pour all the water into the door.
But I already had one rear wiper assembly which was totally destroyed and spilled water the inside the motor.

If a single jet fails on the front, most probably its just the jet which needs cleaning or replacement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello, proud owner of a 2009 SportCombi Griffin 2.0T BioPower. Bought at the end of last year with 185tkm, currently at 203tkm.

I bought this car because
1) I had a 900T 30 years ago and loved it
2) it runs well on E85 from factory and E85 means 70% reduction in fossil CO2 emissions and is currently v cheap in France, and
3) No-one wants Saab - it's dirt cheap

Only real problems so far - front anti-roll bar tie rods (30 minute job on each side, a few euros) and irritating oil leak out of the junction between the timing chain cover and motor block behind the chain tensioner - see my postings about stopping this with Reinzosil.

Everything else has been cosmetic/minor.

Excellent car, especially comfortable for long-distance driving. I can only recommend it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actually, I just looked at my list of jobs and decided to 'fess up to all the things I've done in the last 4 months (not HAD to do, with a few exceptions, as marked):
  • Replace oil pressure sensor (was unnecessary)
  • Left wing mirror (HAD to)
  • Spark plugs
  • Air filter
  • Cabin air filter
  • Crankshaft oil seal (twice)
  • Boot gas springs
  • Brake discs and pads x 4 (HAD to)
  • Roll bar tie rods (HAD to)
  • Seatbelt warning lamps
  • New DAB radio
  • Thermostat (HAD to)
  • Timing chain tensioner seal (unnecessary)
  • Replaced brake fluid (HAD to)
  • Align headlights (HAD to, involved buying used TECH II)
  • Re-torque head (unnecessary)
  • New tyres (HAD to)
  • Oil pump seal (probably unnecessary, but was brittle)
  • New oil trap (probably unnecessary, a b*stard of a job
  • New rocker cover seals (probably unnecessary, but allowed me to see that the timing chain had been replaced and was in good condition)
So there we go, nothing dreadful but a lot of little frustrations. Hopefully won't need to do anything major for a while. I have a spare DI cassette and seprentine belt in the boot just in case (I often travel long distances).

The price per km is still very low - because I could do everything myself.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Check the suspension, especially the back. The back can sag and/or develop excessive camber issues. Look for the car sitting quite low over the rear wheel, and for any funny wear on the inside of the tires. Unless there's a whole history of service to the suspension, I'd expect the car would need replacement of bushings and maybe shocks/struts.

I'd check the headlights for effectiveness, some of these Dame Ednas seem to have really poor lighting at night.

The interiors of the later 9-5s can be pretty flimsy, but if you're happy with the car, that's not an issue.
Camber is not a big issue but toe-in is a big issue. Check the ride height. Low ride height from sagging spring bring excessive toe-in and camber.......NOT just camber.

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
35 Posts
On an '03, there's a good chance that the water passage through the motor shaft on the rear wiper is rusted shut, or nearly so. I had to get a long drill bit from Home Depot and drill it out. After that, it worked great.
Do you mean underneath the cap?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts