SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can you buy tech2 computers from? I found a link for someone selling something similar http://www.drewtech.com/customers/diagaftmkt.htm but dont know if its compatible with the gm modules.... has anyone else bought one? I want a tech2 as I can see myself spending hundreds over the years going back and forth to the dealer just to tech2 something after I've added or changed something on the car.

·
Registered
497 Posts
There are a few places that will sell it, but it costs a couple thousand for the computer and software. So unless you are doing several vehicles, it's not worth it. Plus there is a subscription needed to keep the software up to date. A vauxall dealer may be able to help you, but I wouldn't count on it. Give them a call and ask if they have the Saab version of software. Since they are GM, they might already have it. Otherwise you are stuck going to the nearest Saab dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
nass said:
People complain and wonder why it costs money to have a tech spend 2 minutes on the Tech II to activate automatic door locks. It costs the dealer a lot of money, that's why.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Warren Demontague said:
People complain and wonder why it costs money to have a tech spend 2 minutes on the Tech II to activate automatic door locks. It costs the dealer a lot of money, that's why.
People complain b/c Saab limits these "user" choices to going in for service. At least with Audi/VW you can buy a $300 after-market/non-VW-sanctioned device to get at all these functions. (used it just last night) to check/clear error codes.

Many/most of the items people want changed via Tech II should have been put under the SID settings menu.

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been doing my research on the Tech II systems. E-bay would be the best place if you can snatch one up for a good price. All the Tech II I have seen on there are loaded with general GM software that doesnt include Saab. You could however fork out the extra $400 and get a 32MB car from the seller on e-bay that is selling the Saab software ;)... link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TECH...ryZ43989QQihZ017QQitemZ270179959095QQtcZphoto
But even at that you wont be able to get the updates as they come around..
Why Saab software isnt in the Tech II from the start I couldnt tell you :x. I guess GM wants to keep Saab all on its own so the other branches dont have to deal with Saab owners begging for Teck II changes..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Warren Demontague said:
The dealer makes that cost back 100 times over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
zim2dive said:
People complain b/c Saab limits these "user" choices to going in for service. At least with Audi/VW you can buy a $300 after-market/non-VW-sanctioned device to get at all these functions. (used it just last night) to check/clear error codes.

Many/most of the items people want changed via Tech II should have been put under the SID settings menu.

Mike
Vag-Com and a SAAB-Com would be really nice !!!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Columbus2.0t said:
I have been doing my research on the Tech II systems. E-bay would be the best place if you can snatch one up for a good price. All the Tech II I have seen on there are loaded with general GM software that doesnt include Saab. You could however fork out the extra $400 and get a 32MB car from the seller on e-bay that is selling the Saab software ;)... link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TECH2-32MB-CARD-FOR-07-SAAB-TECH2-OTC-TECH2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQihZ017QQitemZ270179959095QQtcZphoto
But even at that you wont be able to get the updates as they come around..
Why Saab software isnt in the Tech II from the start I couldnt tell you :x. I guess GM wants to keep Saab all on its own so the other branches dont have to deal with Saab owners begging for Teck II changes..
Folks keep mentioning the software updates...

I'm wondering if that's really important?

ie. with a $300 VAGCOM unit, I could use software from 3 years ago... the bit/byte location of the door locks, DRLs, foglight enable, etc would all still be the same. All its doing is reading addr locations modifying 1-2 bits, and writing that one addr back.. "current" software is not an issue unless there are new features.

Is something different on the TechII front? Does the old software stop working if its not re-authorized every year?

Mike

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
zim2dive said:
Folks keep mentioning the software updates...

I'm wondering if that's really important?

ie. with a $300 VAGCOM unit, I could use software from 3 years ago... the bit/byte location of the door locks, DRLs, foglight enable, etc would all still be the same. All its doing is reading addr locations modifying 1-2 bits, and writing that one addr back.. "current" software is not an issue unless there are new features.

Is something different on the TechII front? Does the old software stop working if its not re-authorized every year?

Mike
You don't need to update, providing you never want to be able to connect to a newer car.

As for the updates themselves, I'm not sure that GM will allow just anyone to buy them ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
SaabScott said:
As for the updates themselves, I'm not sure that GM will allow just anyone to buy them ...
Anyone with the $$... Any service shop or person can purchase these at will.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
WooSAABy said:
thanks for the quick reply's. maybe it would be cheaper to drive the 80 mile round trip to the nearest saab dealer each time then.
How often do you actually need a Tech II system Change...just make a list of what you want done, i.e. DRL's, Door Locks, Alarm or whatever. Go once, Pay once, check to see the stuff works and your done...

http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/saabtech2.htm

·
Registered
86 Posts
No, that's not evil, but pretending that their actual cost to do a quick 3 minute programming job that probably SHOULD have been included at the sale is somewhat disingenuous, imho. Charging $20-$30 seems legitimate, but the first dealer I called wanted $275 to "turn on" the Aux-In (Luckily didn't need it after all, it was just hiding from me.), etc.

Warren Demontague said:
You mean a business tries to make a profit by investing in a tool and providing a service!?? Evil!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
clyde733 said:
No, that's not evil, but pretending that their actual cost to do a quick 3 minute programming job that probably SHOULD have been included at the sale is somewhat disingenuous, imho. Charging $20-$30 seems legitimate, but the first dealer I called wanted $275 to "turn on" the Aux-In (Luckily didn't need it after all, it was just hiding from me.), etc.
Would you mind Posting that Dealers name??? Might save some people some grief, that's outright BS stealing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
JonV said:
Would you mind Posting that Dealers name??? Might save some people some grief, that's outright BS stealing.
Why is $275 stealing, but $95 is somehow ok? (for a 5 minute operation)

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts