SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my name is ben and tomorrow i will be the proud owner of a 05 saab 9-3 manual arc model!.

This car will be designed as a daily driver since i have a holset powered 1st gen eagle talon tsi awd thats my weekend car;). But i am no man to leave a car unmodded. Has anyone ever really pushed these cars?? what kind of boost can you run before you experence fuel cut? or how much can you push these stock turbo's? Also what make/model are the stock turbo's and what flange are they? mits 7cm flange? t3?

any fmic kits available?

besides intakes and exhaust's are there any other aftermarket bolt on support?

thanks in advance

ben-

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello all, my name is ben and tomorrow i will be the proud owner of a 05 saab 9-3 manual arc model!.

This car will be designed as a daily driver since i have a holset powered 1st gen eagle talon tsi awd thats my weekend car;). But i am no man to leave a car unmodded. Has anyone ever really pushed these cars?? what kind of boost can you run before you experence fuel cut? or how much can you push these stock turbo's? Also what make/model are the stock turbo's and what flange are they? mits 7cm flange? t3?

any fmic kits available?

besides intakes and exhaust's are there any other aftermarket bolt on support?

thanks in advance

ben-
I have a 05 9-3 5spd Arc Vert. I have the mod bug too.

Unfortunately, there is very little support for our cars. There are a few people on this forum that have purchased a FMIC from Ebay (Godspeed I think). I believe the turbos are Mitsubishi TD04s...you can search the forum for the exact model.

There's a stage 6 kit from Maptun Performance, but for all that money and only 325bhp I for one don't think it's worth it. You can piece together you're own stage 6 kit but still...:cry:

My car is Stage 1 (ECU tuned by BSR) and I think that's all I'm going to do with it performance-wise.

Primary issue for the lack of support on the 2.0 engines is the engine management system.

If I wanted a modable Saab, I personally would've gone with the 2.8T versions. It's alot easier to mess with since the 2.8Ts are using a Bosch EMS.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
factory turbocharged cars and no one has anything to tune with? Has anyone ever tried to wire in a apexi safc?? what about a AEM EMS?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
We have an ecu thats tapped into everything, stand alone management is gonna make this car go 0_o

Seriously the engine management on these cars (T8) is very complicated and annoying, so far nobody has really pushed over 300whp...

There are tunes out there, but there boxed tunes.... no personal tuning software.
Even HP tuners turned us down because things are too complicated

Stock turbo is TD04-14T. Im working on swapping it for a 19T compressor wheel and hopefully talking to genuine saab after i finish my other mods to hopefully hit that 300whp mark... but lack of money has made this process slow right now

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh i know alot about a lack of money. my DSM likes to hord all of it=].

the 14t is very similar to the 2nd generation eclipse turbo the t-25.

if a 16g can hit 325hp easily on a dsm. I wonder how it would fair on my saab?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
if you can get somebody to custom tune it for you then it prob fair pretty decent...
Might wanna take it easy on the trannsmission though, not exactly the strongest

·
Registered
71 Posts
factory turbocharged cars and no one has anything to tune with? Has anyone ever tried to wire in a apexi safc?? what about a AEM EMS?
Believe me, I asked all of the same questions when I came here. I couldnt believe I couldnt just stick an MBC on the damn thing like every other turbo car (I've had an sr20det swapped s13, GVR4, and 1st Gen talon) I've ever owned. The Saab trionic computer pretty much negates you trying to up the boost by any means other than a BSR PPC, or an all around ECU tune/reflash. There was a thread started by a user named "wilder" on here recently who had some luck with controlling boost for these cars.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well its good to hear from a fellow dsmer. I can't belive these people are paying that kind of money to get almost nothing outta there cars. Paying 5g to have 275hp? 5g's can make 550hp on a 4g63 easily. 350$ for a downpipe?! freaking crazy. After the talon is done i guess i will mod this one but for now i guess i'll have to settle with a mbc and a full exhaust.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
$350 for a downpipe with a sport cat is pretty cheap...
this isn't a dsm, this isn't a cheap car.
Go price out a downpipe on any audi turbo, vw turbo, or any 335i. you'll be astonished... $1200 i've seen one some...
$350 is cheaper then people pay for downpipes on sti's and evo's

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eh wow. well i guess this is the world of cars outside of the dsm world. I can get a quality downpipe for 120$ for a dsm. I'll have to look at the flange and the bends and i'll most likely just make my own.

is the OE exhaust pretty restrictive?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
very restrictive... im running an open downpipe right now and I can't believe it actually made a spooling difference

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how about a 3 inch back. Highflow cat split to a ypipe then to two chamber mufflers. Like magnaflow or flowmaster?

maybe before the cat have an electric cutout?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts